Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Canon 30D

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

MikeDePinto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am looking to buy my very first DSLR cameras...

and i have narrowed it down to the Nikon D80 and the CAnon 30D

i would like to know your oppinion on these cameras :)

I voted Canon because that's the brand I use - which I use because my first camera was given to me. It was never a choice, it just happened.

This question (or a variation thereof) gets asked on this forum at least once a week, please poke around and see what others have said.

In a nutshell, they're both great cameras, go to the store and see which feels better. One consensus seems to be that if you have big hands, the Canon might be the way to go.

In a nutshell, they're both great cameras, go to the store and see which feels better
That's the best advice.

You need to go to a store and actually hold and feel the bodies and figure out which ones controls make more sense to you. I prefer Nikon's because the ergonomics of the operation are more comfortable for me.

The poll might as well be reworded:

Are you a Nikon or Canon user?

Nikon vs Canon is essentially a preference. There's ample information to research and take with you to the camera store for a sample of each. Either system will perform and meet anyones expectations.

this is one of the very few photographic forums where people do not start to hate each other for using either Nakon or Cinon :p ... and there are no endless discussions about which is best ;)

But the question asked is a very natural one if you want to buy your first (D)SLR.

As for the answer, it has already been given (see above ;) )

ya.. im kinda leading towards the nikon D80.. it seems like it has a biger body..

i have made PAcks for both cameras.. so when i do go out and buy one i will test both cameras out and what ever one i like better thats what it will be:D

+The nikon LEns all fit on eachother so if i upgrad ill have all lens

MikeDePinto said:
+The nikon LEns all fit on eachother so if i upgrad ill have all lens
Right, All nikon digital camera's are compatible with all Nikon AF lenses, so unlike if you shot Canon, you won't have to worry about buying a bunch of EF-S lenses and than realize that you have to buy new glass if you go full-frame.

But that's probably not a problem as long as you're anticipating dropping the cash on a 1D or a 5D.

Sw1tchFX said:
Right, All nikon digital camera's are compatible with all Nikon AF lenses

D40? Autofocus only works with lenses with the motor built in; no 'screwdriver' for focussing on the camera. Though I guess you could still consider it 'compatible' even if your autofocus lenses no longer autofocus.

ZaphodB said:
you could still consider it 'compatible' even if your autofocus lenses no longer autofocus.
Right. They still meter, you jut have to manually focus it which is a royal pain in the butt on an AF body.

MikeDePinto

I voted for the 30D. Not because I am a Canon user. (I am) But because the 30D is more camera than the D80. I think a more equal comparison would be the 30D and the D200 or the D80 and the XTI.

D80 = 10mp
30D = 8

Does that make a difference

and they are both very good cameras eh??

Only makes a difference if you are printing HUGE pictures (large poster) or cropping massive amounts of the pics.

Most reactions

Back