Nikon D80 or D90... First time DSLR buyer

nbruce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have found a D80 body used for 550.00 and there is a couple different used lens that I can pick up depending on what I decide on doing. Or I can get the D90 and the 18-105 lens for around 1300. So there is quite difference in price. I know that the D90 is superior but for a noob like myself is the D90 worth the extra money I know that if I spend the extra dollars I probably will not have to upgrade the body for a long time. I've done some reading and looked at the D5000 also which I could get for about 1100 with a kit lens. I really like the feel of the D90 and have yet to get my hands on a D80 still deciding whether or not to go check out the used one. What are the differences in the D80 and D90. And is there another camera that might be a better suit for a first time buyer. We will be using the camera when we travel and just random events. Any help would be great.

I have a D80 and I'm real happy with it. However, I have been considering a D90.

1) The D90 is pretty much the high-ISO low noise leader. Blows away the D80 and pretty much everything else under a thousand dollars. That's my sole reason for wanting a D90.

2) The D90 has live view and movies, neither of which I will ever use.

3) The D90's lowest "real" ISO (excluding the software fakeout) is 200 while the D80 has 100. That's a negative for me. I like to shoot wide open in sunshine to limit DoF.

By the way, both of them have a steep learning curve for newbies.

but for a noob like myself is the D90 worth the extra money
Let me ask you a Q first?
Are you getting an SLR b/c it looks big and pretty and people will think "oh a good camera = good pictures" or you're getting one b/c eventually you'll learn various aspects of camera operations and will be shooting manually? If the answer is first, then SLR isn't for you, something like a G9, G10 or G11 canon will be MORE then enough. If the answer is second then go with D90.
Besides the high ISO capability with less noise D90 has another advantage over d80, IT IS NEWER, thus if you'll decide to sell it in a year and grab d300s (probably cheaper then it is right now) then you might get $800 for your kit (I'm saying might, not WILL ;)).
D80, is and WILL be a great camera and if high ISO isn't something you care about or WILL care in a near 2-3 yrs, then grab it, just keep in mind that its shutter-life is probably around 100,000 actuations (similarly to d90).

I disagree a little with some comments here... having a SLR camera doesn't mean you need to shoot manual. If you think that's the only advantage you might want to do some more reading (instant response, better sensor and lens selection just to name a few). In fact the majority of members here shoot in aperture priority (according to a recent poll). I personally think with todays technology there's only a few cicumstances where you may need to shoot full manual.

The D90 is really no more of a learning curve than any other SLR camera, it just has more dedicated buttons - so to some people it might even be easier than say, a D40 where functions are buried in a menu system.

Also, you might think you'll never use video - but having it at your disposal whenever you have your camera with you is pretty awesome... you may use it more than you think.

The D80 and D90 are very similar in look and feel, almost identical really - in fact they share the same battery grip (MB-D80). Having owned and used both I will tell you that if you have the means to do so, you will not regret the extra money spent on the D90.

I took the long route (D40, D60, D80, D200, D90), as a fellow newbie - if you really want to learn about photography you can get the basics down within a week and hone your skills from there while having tons of fun.

When all else fails... switch it to Auto, it WORKS! :D

PS
D90 has a 150,000 shutter actuation rating, or nearly 10,000 photos a year for 10 years!

Last edited:
but for a noob like myself is the D90 worth the extra money
Let me ask you a Q first?
Are you getting an SLR b/c it looks big and pretty and people will think "oh a good camera = good pictures" or you're getting one b/c eventually you'll learn various aspects of camera operations and will be shooting manually? If the answer is first, then SLR isn't for you, something like a G9, G10 or G11 canon will be MORE then enough. If the answer is second then go with D90.

Besides the high ISO capability with less noise D90 has another advantage over d80, IT IS NEWER, thus if you'll decide to sell it in a year and grab d300s (probably cheaper then it is right now) then you might get $800 for your kit (I'm saying might, not WILL ;)).

D80, is and WILL be a great camera and if high ISO isn't something you care about or WILL care in a near 2-3 yrs, then grab it, just keep in mind that its shutter-life is probably around 100,000 actuations (similarly to d90).

Your "advantage" of the D90 being new is actually a disadvantage on resale.

D90 will be worth probably 300-400 less than it is now a year from now. D80 will still probably be worth around the same $500-550 that he could get it for now.

To the OP, get the price down to around $500 and it may be worth it for the D80. You could always get that much or close to it back out of it if you sell in a year or so.

However, I believe there is a used D90 for sale for around $700 (body only) in the for sale section. Go have a look and see. If you can get a used D90, then go for it, otherwise, I'd suggest the D80 for less money and a small loss on resale if you decide to upgrade a year from now.

Edit: Yup...click the link below. used D90 for $700 which is a very good price in my opinion. I'd jump on it if I were you.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/181391-fs-nikon-d90-mb-d80.html

Last edited:
Wow quick response. Thanks for your opinions. I personal would like to start fooling around with different modes and learn how to take proper pictures maybe take a class or two. So I thought that the SLR would be the right option for me. I have also managed to find a D70 with an 18-70mm kit lens for 500. From the sounds of it I should try and find a D90 in my price range whether it be used or on sale. Which was my thinking that it would last me longer.

Most reactions

Back