nikon d80 vs. 200?

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i've been reading a lot about these two cameras, and have found that they are both pretty similar to each other as far as their internals go. now i'm sure not everything is the same though obviously, but what is so different that justifies the close to 500 dollar price difference? i know the d80's censor is a tuned down version of the 200's, and that the d80 can't shoot as much frames per second as the d200 but that doesn't bother me. the only thing negative i've found about the d80 is that its meter is a bit off at times. what i'm really asking is the d200 worth 500 dollars more than the d80? any input would be appreciated.

There's a good comparison here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

The D80 is more a fancy toy whereas the D200 is a serious tool for professionals. The D200 gives you a lot more info in the finder, lets you adjust ISO in full stops, has a lot more direct access buttons for control, no "dummy" shooting modes to get in the way, runs at 5 FPS vs 3, has shooting banks that you can setup ahead of time so that you don't have to fiddle with your camera for more than a second while changing up modes, has a much more rugged body with sealing, will meter with older AI and AI-S manual focus lenses, has better matrix metering, and will optimize JPEG outputs on the fly for file size based on image complexity so you don't waste space.

If you're a pro shooting weddings and need to be able to adjust stuff like mad on the fly, the D200 will let you do it and get the job done, whereas you'll miss shots on the D80 while trying to jack it around. So for more casual use or only occasional serious use the D80 is fine, but if you're more serious and really need the extras on the D200, it's the only way to go (or a D300).

I like my D80, but when it comes down to it and I'm really trying to shoot seriously (like a wedding) it's still just not a serious enough camera. But I don't need the capabilities of the D200/D300 enough to bother upgrading, which is why I still have it. :)

There's a good comparison here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

The D80 is more a fancy toy whereas the D200 is a serious tool for professionals. The D200 gives you a lot more info in the finder, lets you adjust ISO in full stops, has a lot more direct access buttons for control, no "dummy" shooting modes to get in the way, runs at 5 FPS vs 3, has shooting banks that you can setup ahead of time so that you don't have to fiddle with your camera for more than a second while changing up modes, has a much more rugged body with sealing, will meter with older AI and AI-S manual focus lenses, has better matrix metering, and will optimize JPEG outputs on the fly for file size based on image complexity so you don't waste space.

If you're a pro shooting weddings and need to be able to adjust stuff like mad on the fly, the D200 will let you do it and get the job done, whereas you'll miss shots on the D80 while trying to jack it around. So for more casual use or only occasional serious use the D80 is fine, but if you're more serious and really need the extras on the D200, it's the only way to go (or a D300).

I like my D80, but when it comes down to it and I'm really trying to shoot seriously (like a wedding) it's still just not a serious enough camera. But I don't need the capabilities of the D200/D300 enough to bother upgrading, which is why I still have it. :)

yeah, i read that article which is what got me thinking about this. i'll probably end up going with the d80, because like you said it isn't that "serious" of a camera, and i don't really need the extra features of a d200 since i'm just into photography for a hobby. plus, the d80 is an even better choice since i'll be able to get one within the the next two weeks or so :wink:.
and thankyou for your input

A good photographer friend of mine once told me that Ken Rockwell is considered a "joke" in the photograph world. What is your view on that?

A good photographer friend of mine once told me that Ken Rockwell is considered a "joke" in the photograph world. What is your view on that?

I'm only a noob, but I enjoy Ken's writing style, and he has a lot of good info. However you have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt. He sometimes contradicts himself, and his viewpoints are always extreme. Also he writes based on his own opinions and preferences, which is not always going to be the same as yours or mine. For example, most of his recommendations are for gear that works with his style of landscape photography, which might not work well for sports or other types of photography.

Why is it not possible to post anything at all from his site on a forum like this for people that have questions without getting into a Ken Rockwell debate. :roll:

Well Mav, I would say that your turning it into a debate. :er:

Andrew just gave his opinion on Ken.

This should be the end... but here we go...

"ladies and gentlemen, mount your soapboxes!!"
:soapbox:

Scott, fair enough. Post edited.

He takes awesome pics, but his view on things and advice in general is unique to him. Also, the quality of a few of his technical opinions is sometimes questionable, sometimes just flat out wrong.

I was in the "D80 or D200" dilemma 11 months ago. I went the D200 route. In the beginning, I thought I had made a serious mistake, but within a month I was doing things with the camera that I never thought I could. It just keeps getting better.

The D200 is more of a serious pro camera vs the D80. It is less forgiving, and the person behind the eyepiece HAS to know what they are doing, to get a good shot.

The D80 is more forgiving, has "modes" to help you out (who REALLY uses these modes anyways? I rarely used them with P&S cameras in the first place).

That said, I love the fact that I chose the D200. It forced me to become a better photographer faster and it has options and a feel that the D80 cannot match.

If you want a casual camera and your photography skills are at the beginner stage and have no concerted desire to improve, get the D80.

If you take your photography seriously and want to develop it into a serious hobby or turn pro one day, the D200 is the best starter platform available to you out there.

My photography skills improved a thousand fold, thanks to the D200 becuase of what it did for me, but more becuase of what it demanded OF me. :)

Probably moot now since you got the D80, but has anyone seen any information on the D80 battery life?

I was FLOORED by how quickly the D200 ate through the batteries (compared to my D100), then when I got my D300 I was like "Whoa... tons of batt life in this baby."

Come to find out they hadn't made the power "work" that well with the new larger sensor in the D200s... I guess the D300s get like 1000ish shots to the D200s 300ish.

As I said, 11 months ago, I made the choice for the D200, and it was not just a whim, but a very detailed month long research about the 2 cameras. I held both cameras, used both, priced out both over the net and about 15 local brick and mortar shops.

I read every review available on the net. I looked at thousands of posts on flickr, DPreview and at least 10 other forums. I spent about $200 in long distance phone calls talking to D80 and D200 owners very specific questions.

I never... ever... ask the question on a forum "what camera is right for me". I would not trust anyone BUT myself to know that.... and I made my choice, and am very happy with it.

I hope you did research that was adequate for your needs. Nothing sucks more than buyer's remorse.

Why is it not possible to post anything at all from his site on a forum like this for people that have questions without getting into a Ken Rockwell debate. :roll:

Huh? I was not getting into a debate. I was just asking what the general opinion of him was. My friend that said this to me has been a professional photographer for years and she said that he is known to review equipment without actually testing it himself and also being very questionable or totally backwards, thus, he has a reputation as being a joke.
Sorry if I offended you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back