Nikon D80 vs. Canon 30D

STMel03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm somewhat new the photography...I've been kicking the idea of getting a SLR for awhile now and I'm finally ready to bit the bullet..I signed to for some classes in the spring, so now all I need is a camera..

I went to look at both today.. I couldn't really get a good feel for them with all of the security stuff attached.. I'm now in debate between the 30D and the D80.. From what I understand the 30D has some better options and is more of a semi-pro camera... and a more sturdy body.... The D80 on the other hand has probably all the options I'll need for the time being and a cheaper price tag.. I also liked that it comes with a better lens...which is probably the biggest selling point to me... so at this point I'm still leaning towards the D80..

In comparing shutter speeds.. The 30D is also twice as fast 1/8000 compared to the 1/4000 of the D80.. Will this matter much to a beginner like me? I'll be shooting various things from landscapes to sportbikes on the track..I would like to get into photography not just as a hobby, but also to supplement my income.. So I need a good enough camera that when I cross those tracks from a hobby to taking pictures for someone... I won't have to upgrade because of the lack of options..

Anyone used both that can give me a good comparison between the two?

STMel03

When you go to a DSLR, you are not buying a camera, you are buying a system. Both cameras you have mentioned are good cameras. The 30D is more camera than the D80 as you mentioned. Looking at the D80 now, it sounds as if it fit your needs at the moment. Will you outgrow it soon? If so you might want to look at the 30D or the D200 (yeah I know, more money) and grow into the camera.

More importantly however, you might want to look at lenses and accessories available from Nikon and Canon that you might be interested in. What kinds of glass do you want, and who has the better quality/prices for that glass. If you buy good glass now, it will last a lifetime. You can expect to be buying a new body every couple of years or so.

To get a real feal for the cameras, get away from the big box store and go to a good photography shop. They should be able to answer all of your questions, and you will be able to hold and even use the camera a little right there in the store. My local shop even has a computer and monitor set up so you can view the photos you shot right there. Great for choosing bodies and even better for lenses. Good luck with you search.
Good luck with your decision.

You will have spawned a "My system is better than your system" Debate with this one. All I can say is if you go for either system you will be on a winner, as they are the best two available. for my two pence worth If you need a rugged camera then fine. If a lighter build is not a problem then the 10 Meg Pix Canon 400d will give you better definition and if you buy it body only you should be able to afford a pretty good lens with what you would have paid for either of the other two....

Ok.. I guess I never did look at it as buying a "system". It makes a lot of sense looking at it that way.. I realize both systems probably have there strong and weak points.. I just I'm just looking for a little reassurance that the D80 will give me professional like shots(when I learn to take them). Again I'm a little concerned with the slower shutter speed.. I'll be taking lots of photos at track events with bikes whizzing by at very high rates of speed..Would there be any difference in clarity between the two shutter speeds(D80 vs. 30D)?

Does anyone have some photos they can post up shot by the D80 by chance?

Thanks for your input thus far..

If you go to dpreview.com you'll find sample shots by both cameras. Either can produce pro quality shots with good skills and a decent lens. I can't imagine many times when you'll need 1/8000th versus 1/4000th but that's just me.

Oh yeah, one thing I like better about the Canon is 5fps versus 3 fps on the D80, but I generally like Nikon's better.

ericande said:
If you go to dpreview.com you'll find sample shots by both cameras. Either can produce pro quality shots with good skills and a decent lens. I can't imagine many times when you'll need 1/8000th versus 1/4000th but that's just me.

Thanks for your reply.. Being "new" to photography I was not sure if the difference in shutter speed would matter for me or not.. How good is the glass on Nikons lens? There seems to be quite a few on ebay at a decent price when compaired to shopping for canon glass...

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond80_samples/

Now - if you can definitely tell the difference in "quality" between those and"

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond50_samples/

Then sir - kudos to you. However - as your "new" to photography, I (speaking from a strictly economic standpoint) theres "cheaper" alternatives out there that wont eat at your budget - a Nikon D50 for example. An "older" :)confused:) dSLR that can usually be gotten for around 300-400 (lens/memory included) in your local area (Craigslist) - or certainly cheaper if you just get the body (online) and opt to purchase a seperate lens.

Up to you really, and what you plan on using it for. If its not for professional usage - really is silly to get a "top of the line" pro model (unless you have disposable cash like that).

IMO 1/8000 over 1/4000 is nowhere near being a deal-breaker when it comes to choosing a camera. The reason I say that is, it's not the speed of bikes flying past that's going to be the problem; it's the speed of your lens. By speed in this context I mean the maximum aperture. The wider the max aperture (the lower the F-number), the more light can reach the sensor in a given amount of time. Thing is, having a camera that can shoot at 1/8000 of a second won't help you much if the lens on the camera will only let you get a decent exposure at 1/1000. Yes, there are some situations where a shutter speed of 1/8000 could be useful... but follow that logic and you may as well say you need a 1D instead for 1/16000 just in case... I think the best thing you can buy in order to freeze action is a fast lens and/or a good flash. Then if you find yourself pushing the limits of the 1/4000 shutter speed you can either stop down the lens aperture, lower the ISO or use a neutral density filter.

As for the D80 vs the 30D, I couldn't tell you which is better for you and honestly I'm not sure anyone could but you. What I will say is that I don't think the D80 could be in any way inadequate for your purposes; it's an extremely good camera, so I agree that the best thing is to look at the Canon and Nikon systems as a whole (i.e. what do people say about the various lenses and flashes for each?)... and then the final decider, which some people dismiss but I still think is fairly important... hold the camera, look through the viewfinder. Sometimes that really is what can make the decision for you.

Speaking from a standpoint of someone who has just got the D80. It's plenty of camera to master and I was lured to the Nikon camp by what for me was better bang for the buck :)

The kit lens is pretty good in a lot of situations and generally I really like it.

Shutter speed is important if you intend to capture "Action". In MOST reports it is said that "Canon" lenses have the edge... But really at 10 X 8 or less I challenge anyone to tell the difference. Go to your local shop, tell the guy what you want to do with a camera and hold a few . take a few shots (If they won't let you, go to the next shop...). see what feels best , what YOU like to hold... then buy it..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back