Nikon D80 Vs P80

The_One

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick questions regarding the two models on Nikon. Does anyone what is the real difference between the two?

I am looking to buy a new camera to better pictures than an average "shooter" and hoping to get some helps from this great community.

Regards

Last edited:
The P80 is a dSLR type point & shoot camera.

The D80 is a dSLR camera.

Oh... and about $400USD different.

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick questions regarding the two models on Nikon. Does anyone what is the real difference between the two?

I am looking to buy a new camera to better pictures than an average "shooter" and hoping to get some helps from this great community.

Regards

The camera whether it costs $100 or $10,000 really has very little to do with being better (or not) than the average shooter. It's the person looking into the viewfinder and pressing the button that makes a difference. A great photographer will take great photographs with a P&S or the best SLR.

The SLR body will give you a lot more veratility in terms of interchangable lenses, and other useful features, but it's not going to help you take better photographs.

wtf.JPG

The camera whether it costs $100 or $10,000 really has very little to do with being better (or not) than the average shooter. It's the person looking into the viewfinder and pressing the button that makes a difference. A great photographer will take great photographs with a P&S or the best SLR.

The SLR body will give you a lot more veratility in terms of interchangable lenses, and other useful features, but it's not going to help you take better photographs.

That does make a lot of sense and I totally agree with you. My idea is to spend descent amount of money so I know that I can't blame the camera when the photos doesn't turn out good.

D80 seems to be better choice for now. Any recommendation on the lens?

Regards

If you're going to carry 1 lens, go with one with a range somewhere around 20-70mm.

You won't get any super-macro or big-time telephoto shots, but it'll cover most everything else.

D80 seems to be better choice for now. Any recommendation on the lens?
Most people get kitted up with the 18-135mm lens. Seems like a decent start for just begining with a dSLR. The shots I've seen on TPF with the lens can be damn good. Try that lens for a while and then decide on the next lens.

My idea is to spend descent amount of money so I know that I can't blame the camera when the photos doesn't turn out good.
You may want to define what a "decent amount of money" is to you. Before going all crazy, there are a few essentials IMO to be considered.
A decent enough bag to hold your gear.
Extra battery
Extra memory
MicroFiber cloth
Tripod (money well spent here for quality)
Wireless remote for the D80 (works great with tripod)
Circular Polarizing Filter (at least a mid-grade)
External flash (SB-600 or 800) *this could also come further down the road for you, but keep it in mind*

...then...

MORE LENSES !!! :wav: :headbang: :clap::boogie::smileys: :lmao:

The D80, and good glass will get you some superb shots once you half-way figure it out. There are many Nikon and D80 shooters on this forum that will be glad to help you out. I shoot Nikon and still have a D80.

thanks my friend. I'll stick with your advice :)

Most reactions

Back