Nikon D80 Vs. Pentax K10D

scanneraddict21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I posted a thread previously about what kind of camera to consider purchasing. I did a lot of research and I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two cameras.

I mainly shoot landscapes, lakes, nature and to throw a curve ball, structure fires. I currently use a Canon Powershot S2IS which has been a great camera but I want to expand my photography skills and play with a more advanced camera.

The pro's about the Nikon D80 that pull me towards it are the specs, the feel of the camera in my hands, and the variety of accessories for it. If I bought this camera I decided that I would save my money and purchase the 18-200mm VR lens and the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens for the night photography of structure fires as a tripod is an annoyance.

The pro's of the Pentax K10D are the inexpensive lenses you can purchase and mostly, the Shake Reduction system. I can use lenses that have a higher f stop in darker conditions compared to the Nikon and that means I can purchase inexpensive lenses not having to worry about spending extra money for VR technology.

I want to go with a camera that will give me great functionality and good service for my money. I want any information as to pro's and con's I have missed and other things or even cameras I should consider. Thanks everyone.

Pro's for the Pentax:

- Dust removal (by vibration of sensor)
- Dust proof/weather resistant body

I am not sure the D80 offers the same.

Pro's for the D80

"i have one"....lol :p...just joking.....i'm not familiar with Pentax.....but i like D80 and the 18-200 VR lense

Both are great cameras. My experience of the 'shake reduction' system (or at least the version in the K100d) is that it is reasonably effective but not as good as the in-lens systems. Also I don't think anti-shake is really a good substitute for a faster lens. Whichever camera you go for it would seem a shame to only use cheaper, slower lenses when both companies have excellent glass.

they are both great cameras. I personally own the pentax K10D and LOVE it. I havent shot with the D80 so I cant compare those, but popular photo did an article on 10MP cameras featuring the D80, the canon XTi, the K10D and samsung whatever is the corresponding camera, and either the olypus or the sony alpha, cant remember. Over all they rated the D80 higher, giving it excellent color reproduction and the best resolution over all (which you would hardly notice). The pluses of getting nikon is that they have a huge line established. If you want pro gear, there is plent on the market, whereas pentax goes, the K10D is the best its got so far (sure to change, but who knows how long it will take).

The VR is more effective than pentax's SR, but the advantage of the SR system is that you can use it on any lens.

All in all I would say they are pretty even, with the Nikon performing better straight out of the box, but again this difference is so small you'd really have to be looking for it to notice.

Either choice you make you'll be happy with, so what I'd do is see which brand offers the lenses you want, and which camera feels the best to you.

Good luck.

Doing some more research on the D80, I have been reading that it tends to overexpose pictures. Of course you can change your exposure compensation to correct it but is this anything I should worry about or put into consideration?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Someone recently commented that the K10d tended to underexpose but then it was fixed with a firmware update. If overexposure is an issue with the D80 I expect it is similarly fix-able. Anyway sometimes you see a camera reviewed and one magazine will say it underexposes while another will say it overexposes... either way it won't be far out and you'll probably get used to using exposure compensation anyway.

Shooting mostly outdoors coupled with shooting fires, represents somewhat of a hazardous environment to the camera, so I would think the sealed feature of the Pentax would be a real benefit and give it an edge over the D80. Both otherwise will serve you very well.

I think the weather sealing could be good for using it in light rain but it definitely wouldn't protect against fire... if there is a chance of the camera being damaged then you would be better investing in a special housing for it.

I think the weather sealing could be good for using it in light rain but it definitely wouldn't protect against fire... if there is a chance of the camera being damaged then you would be better investing in a special housing for it.

I was referring to fine cinder and ash that is generally present during a fire and water spray if the fire is being fought during photography. It did not sound like the camera would be close enough, or directly exposed to fire where the sealing feature would of course be of no use.

Sure but I still think you'd want to keep cinders and ash away from the body (and lens) even with sealing.

Sure but I still think you'd want to keep cinders and ash away from the body (and lens) even with sealing.

Ideally yes, but sometimes one finds themselves photographing in such an environment and a camera such as the K10D or D200x offers a level of protection than a non-sealed camera.

I bought a D80 in January and had a tough time deciding if it was the right choice. But then I read the issue of Popular Photography that compared the D80 to the XTi, Pentax, Sony Alpha, and I think a Samsung...maybe. Anyways, the D80 came out on top by far with the XTi in distant second. So, I got a D80 (I did other research too by the way) and I haven't looked back, and never will. I adore my D80, wouldn't trade it for anything other than a D200 or D2XS.

out on top by far may be pushing it. It won, but it didn't dominate the competition, and that is what a user in the magazine feels.

I would not be worried taking my K10D out in light rain. I'd cover it obviously, but a few drops wouldn't bother me. As for fires, I have never been close enough to the fires I photograph, but I imagine a better protector against the heat and ash is a more telephoto lens :lmao:

The K10D has everything the D80 offers and more. Much more, really. Image stabilization is a big deal, albiet not quite a good as lens-stabilization. Weather sealing could come in handy, but only when pentax or sigma release a weather-sealed lens.

The only issue I saw that prevented me from buying the K10D was it's Jpeg photo softness. A review on DPreview found its Jpegs to be unusually soft. I regret this, though, because I have yet to use Jpeg on my current camera (I stick to RAW.)

I was actually considering the D80, K10D, and 400D. I went with the 400D in the end. It just felt more responsive than all of the other consumer SLR's. Plus, I like Canon. ^_^ I realize the D80 has some perks (Spot-metering, bigger viewfinder, etc.) but they weren't enough to warrant the $300 extra in price ($450 if you buy the big lens that comes with it...18-120 I think... not sure exactly).

Oh, and don't worry about over/under exposure. The 400D's are supposed to underexpose, but I have yet to notice it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back