Nikon D80

CameronDelray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am pretty set on buying the Nikon D80 as my first SLR Camera.
I am looking for a package deal. Preferably one that of course comes with a lens (any will do right now, I can upgrade later), and possibly a tripod, and shoulder camera bag.

I found two websites where the price is actually really good. They are:

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4162
http://www.1wayphoto.com/products.asp?product_id=12602

Around the price of $450. Are those reputable websites?

Does anyone have any suggestions where else I should look? I'm trying to get the best deal possible.

Thanks.

Yup, its a scam....If your lookng for a really good price and dont mind purchasing used, i'd check out the forums here or craigslist. Try and localize craigslist to your area, that way you can arrange a meet with the seller and check out the camera...Good Hunting!

Ahh thanks guys, I figured something had to be up with it.

Another quick question.
I was looking at a wide range of Nikon cameras, and reading up as much as possible. I looked into the Nikon D60, Nikon D40, and the Nikon D70s.
The D60, and D40 don't have built-in AF motors, and the D70s does.
Is it really a huge difference between AF and focusing manually?

Also, would Ebay be a good option? I searched Ebay, and there's a company called Cameta Cameras that sells packages of several cameras with Mint Condition cameras, and New lenses in the package. I saw that amazon sometimes orders through Cameta, so I'm guessing that would be a reputable seller?

I purchased from Cameta Camera once and I was happy with their customer service and price. Are they the best? I don't know but I was happy and I would deal with them again.
With that said, I have to ask you to use and bookmark this site as it is a very valuable tool when shopping online. http://www.resellerratings.com/

And here is their rating on Cameta Camera:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CametaCamera

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

The D60, and D40 don't have built-in AF motors, and the D70s does.
I'm not sure how informed you are, but, the D40, D40x and D60 do autofocus with the right lenses: they just have to be AF-S or AF-I lenses. Any other AF lens will still mount and meter, but not autofocus.

Is it really a huge difference between AF and focusing manually?
Depends on what you're shooting. I shot a concert with a fully manual lens on my D40 and got some great keepers.

Shooting sports would be a pain with manual focusing, though. You'll just have to use an AF-S lens, which generally have better focusing systems than older AF lenses anyway.

Thanks a lot guys for the help and suggestions.
I think I'm going to go with the Nikon D40 and order from Amazon.

As I am a beginner, I'm really drawn to the price of the D40, and the very nice pictures I've seen taken with one. There are plenty of AF-I and AF-S lenses to make me happy enough to purchase this camera.

Once again, thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: Will let you guys know when I receive it, along with the very first pictures taken with my first DSLR camera! :D

Also, would Ebay be a good option? I searched Ebay, and there's a company called Cameta Cameras that sells packages of several cameras with Mint Condition cameras, and New lenses in the package. I saw that amazon sometimes orders through Cameta, so I'm guessing that would be a reputable seller?

I have purchased 4 DSLR's and other stuff from Cameta... one camera was defective (new, unopened, just had about 100 hot pixels on it), and they replaced it right away, paid shipping both ways and made sure I was satisfied... I would recommend them completely.

.... but if you were set on the D80, it is a much more advanced camera than the D40. Have you actually held them in your hands? I thought D40 until I felt the D80 in my mits, plus the advanced features. No worries of future lens purchases, wireless off camera flash right out of the box, more AF options.....

I use B&H as a price guide and pretty much my on-line retailer. I bought my camera bodies local, but use B&H and sometimes Andorama for everything else.

Just my 2¢.

.... but if you were set on the D80, it is a much more advanced camera than the D40. Have you actually held them in your hands? I thought D40 until I felt the D80 in my mits, plus the advanced features. No worries of future lens purchases, wireless off camera flash right out of the box, more AF options.....

I use B&H as a price guide and pretty much my on-line retailer. I bought my camera bodies local, but use B&H and sometimes Andorama for everything else.

Just my 2¢.

Unfortunately I live about 45 minutes away from a local store that sells DSLRs. I was interested in the D80, but as I found out those websites were a scam, the original price is a bit out of my budget.

Package deals on new cameras usually include the camera + crap lenses, crap tripods, etc. etc.

The best way to find a "good" package is to buy a used outfit that someone else has put together with some thought.

A work of adice on lenses: don't buy ANY lens that isn't a fixed aperture 2.8 or wider (smaller #), OR VR--preferably both, but that gets expensive.

Package deals on new cameras usually include the camera + crap lenses, crap tripods, etc. etc.

The best way to find a "good" package is to buy a used outfit that someone else has put together with some thought.

A work of adice on lenses: don't buy ANY lens that isn't a fixed aperture 2.8 or wider (smaller #), OR VR--preferably both, but that gets expensive.

I disagree... there are some excellent variable focus lenses that are inexpensive.

Example... I own both the Nikon $200 55-200 VR and the Nikon $1600 if you can find it at all 70-200 VR. The image quality at f/8 - f/11 is as good if not better on the $200 lens... Yes, the 70-200 is a vastly superior lens in durability, VR performance and speed... but it is MUCH bigger, MUCH heavier and costs 8 times as much... for a casual shooter or a beginner, the 55-200 VR is a much better lens overall.

I disagree... there are some excellent variable focus lenses that are inexpensive.

Example... I own both the Nikon $200 55-200 VR and the Nikon $1600 if you can find it at all 70-200 VR. The image quality at f/8 - f/11 is as good if not better on the $200 lens... Yes, the 70-200 is a vastly superior lens in durability, VR performance and speed... but it is MUCH bigger, MUCH heavier and costs 8 times as much... for a casual shooter or a beginner, the 55-200 VR is a much better lens overall.
I agree if you are on a budget the 55-200 is much better. The 70-200 is not for people who want a general carry around lens. To me it is like carrying around my 80-400 for general use. It wont happen.

So are you saying the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens that comes with the D40 is no good? Even for a beginner on a budget?

Most reactions

Back