Nikon D80?

TailgunnerDesign

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a videographer who travels around and films off-road races. I'm looking to branch off into the photography world and am in the position to purchase a used Nikon D80. The package includes a couple filters, Sigma DG 28-70mm 1:2.8-4 lens, Sigma DG 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens, Digital High Definition 0.5X wide angle lens with macro, Bower Digital Super Wide 042X AF fish eye lens and some SD cards. The camera and lenses are in great shape and have all the original instructions, cables, etc. The seller wants $500 for the package. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether this is a good deal or not and if this camera will work well in the fast paced off-road racing world. Thanks for your help :thumbup:

I'm not looking to do any video with this camera. I'm pretty much a complete doob to photography and don't really know anything about lenses and whatnot so I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this package and if it would be good for shooting images at offroad races where trucks are going by and about 100mph ;)

Well from memory I think the D80 shoots at about 3 pics a second, which means you may miss some of the action. The focus on the Sigmas isn't the quickest, which may be an issue for you, and the 28-70 in particular is very soft wide open at f/2.8 - f/4. I've no experience of the Bower lenses, but opinions appear to be mixed. $500 isn't a huge price, but I personally have doubts about whether it would do what you need it to do.

That is not a good deal. The camera body is worth around $300, but those cheap sigma lenses are not worth an extra $200.

I have been using a D80 for 3+ years now with a Nikon lens and a Tokina 2.8 lens and if you are looking at doing that fast of motion photography, 3fps is not fast enough. I thought it sounded fast when I bought it, but when I have used it, its really not that fast. you would need 6fps minimum in my opinion for you to be happy with your results. Sigma lenses are known for being kind of slow on focusing, which would be a big issue shooting fast motion stuff. Need a brand name Canon or Nikon lens. Go for a Nikon D300s body. can get one for around $1200 used right now. well worth the price.

I have been using a D80 for 3+ years now with a Nikon lens and a Tokina 2.8 lens and if you are looking at doing that fast of motion photography, 3fps is not fast enough. I thought it sounded fast when I bought it, but when I have used it, its really not that fast. you would need 6fps minimum in my opinion for you to be happy with your results. Sigma lenses are known for being kind of slow on focusing, which would be a big issue shooting fast motion stuff. Need a brand name Canon or Nikon lens. Go for a Nikon D300s body. can get one for around $1200 used right now. well worth the price.

You should also look at the Nikon D7000. You can get one new for about $1200 (body only). I have never used the D300s but I love my D7000 and from what I've read in reviews the D7000 tends to come out on top most of the time. It gets 6fps versus the 7fps the D300s gets but it has a faster, more accurate auto-focus system (good for tracking fast moving objects) and better image quality. There are many different points to compare and opinions on which is better tends to differ but it should at least be something to consider.

Most reactions

Back