Nikon D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarazas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is $400 a good price for a Nikon D80? Does anyone have experience with this camera?

Yes i use one for a backup and if someone offered me 350 and shipping I'd sell it so the $400 you're looking at seems fine unless its been used a lot. Check and make sure it doesn't have a million shutter activations and isn't beat to death. At that price the seller if offering it, the cam should be should be in great shape. Mine has been an awesome camera for around 16,000 activations and here is the shape I'd expect the $400 body you are looking at to be in.

beat up/high use ones can be had much cheaper.

SRW_2524.jpg

SRW_2523.jpg

SRW_2519.jpg

SRW_2517.jpg

also at that price it should have the original box and strap, and a memory card.

This is the ad-

This camera is an excellent camera it ann all accessories listed is worth $1000 or nore nikon d80 camera with 18-200mn tamron af f/1:3 lens, nikon speedlight sb-600, nikon charger, 4 batteries and brand new small case. I am only getting rid of it because i want to upgrade. Everything works perfectly and has be taken care of well.
will consider selling all seperate.

I asked on just the body- the person said $400. They don't have close ups of the camera, I just asked for some, but the pictures are of the camera on the cement outside. That doesn't seem like a person that takes care of their camera to me... maybe I'm just looking too much in to it though.

If I got it, do you think it's a better deal to go with the package or just the body and get the other stuff seperate?

Oooh I just saw you have a d700. That is what I'm wanting to get, but I'm looking for something to get me through school that isn't "amateur" I don't really know much about them yet, but I do know people can be camera snobs haha... so I don't want people to laugh when they see thats my "learning" camera. Is this one more on the amateur side? I'm having the hardest time finding something thats affordable but not a joke.

Thank you for the detailed advice! Thats the best I have got on here so far, it's nice to have someone answer with out being judgemental :)

The D80 is an entry-level DSLR, and I moved your thread out of the Beginner's forum section to the Nikon section of the Camera Forum.

The D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100, D7000 are all of Nikon's entry-level DSLR's - so far.

Nikon has 2 tiers in their entry-level DSLR line up.
The compact tier - D40, D40s, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100 that don't have the screw-drive auto focus system.
The regular tier - D50, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D7000 that do have the screw-drive auto focus system.
The D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100, and D7000 have CMOS image sensors, while all the rest of the entry-level line up have CCD image sensors.

Nikon's CMOS image sensors use less power, and have better ISO performance than the CCD image sensors they replace.

I miss mine, I sold it because I found myself using works D5100 all the time. I like the higher ISO ability but the D80 is a fun camera to enjoy. 350$ is all I would offer.

Between the d80 and the d3000 which would you go with?

Someone is selling a nearly new Nikon D3000 for $350, they opened it, messed with it a little and decided to stay with canon so they are selling it. It seems like a better deal from what I have seen on prices, but I don't know as far as the camera it's self which is a better choice.

Oooh I just saw you have a d700. That is what I'm wanting to get, but I'm looking for something to get me through school that isn't "amateur" I don't really know much about them yet, but I do know people can be camera snobs haha... so I don't want people to laugh when they see thats my "learning" camera. Is this one more on the amateur side? I'm having the hardest time finding something thats affordable but not a joke.

Thank you for the detailed advice! Thats the best I have got on here so far, it's nice to have someone answer with out being judgemental :)

I would absolutely not invest in a prosumer level body like a D700 unless you already have some serious glass to mount on it. I see a few folks new to photography post about how they are saving for this or that $2000-$3000 body and they only have a couple of lenses that don't add up to $500.

That D700 will be a whole lot of wasted money if you're mounting a 18-55 kit lens on it. But if you have the scratch to get the D700 and a 24-70mm f/2.8...you have my blessing:wink:

Also there are some advantages to shooting FX lenses on a DX body...you get the sweet-center for sharpness as well as 50% more length on your focal range (you get screwed on the wide end tho)

I would absolutely not invest in a prosumer level body like a D700 unless you already have some serious glass to mount on it. I see a lot of folks new to photography post about how they are saving for this or that $2000-$3000 body and they only have a couple of lenses that don't add up to $500.

That D700 will be a whole lot of wasted money if you're mounting a 18-55 kit lens on it. But if you have the scratch to get the D700 and a 24-70mm f/2.8...you have my blessing:wink:

Also there are some advantages to shooting FX lenses on a DX body...you get the sweet-center for sharpness as well as 50% more length on your focal range (you get screwed on the wide end tho)

I mean after school, I want something simple and affordable for now, but I want to get the D700 after I'm done and have some experience :)

Between the d80 and the d3000 which would you go with?

Someone is selling a nearly new Nikon D3000 for $350, they opened it, messed with it a little and decided to stay with canon so they are selling it. It seems like a better deal from what I have seen on prices, but I don't know as far as the camera it's self which is a better choice.

I'd probably go with the D80 provided it was well cared for, in excellent condition and had the original manual, strap, body cap, etc. The lack of internal focus motors on todays entry levels from Nikon is a deal-breaker for me, but that is because of the older D lenses I own.

I mean after school, I want something simple and affordable for now, but I want to get the D700 after I'm done and have some experience :)

I wouldn't even worry about the D700 after school. It's already getting old in Digital Years and when you're looking to step up (and have glass that will make the upgrade worth it) the D800 will probably be nearing the end of it's run.

Here's a trick I used to buy a couple of d80's for friends for as little as $220. Buy one with an OEM grip on ebay, and then resell the grip. You can typically get $100 for the grip alone, and it sells quick because it also works on a d90.

"Gripped" D80's only sell for about $25 more then non-gripped ones, so you save $75

That's price for new one with box, cap, strap and memory card. Maybe even kit lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back