Nikon D850...............Who's gonna get one ?

Does the D850 take "professional" pictures? :allteeth:

No camera takes pictures. A good professional can take professional pictures with every camera, even point and shoot...

Hard to convince a client to pay you if you show up with a point and shoot.
You are not supposed to convince a client to pay showing him the camera, but by showing him your portfolio and the results. That is the only thing which matters.
If you can achieve great results with P&S, what does it matter?

Also, if you show up, there's a good chance your client already saw your portfolio prior the shoot. If I want to present my work personally, I take my portfolio with me, not the camera. Clients usually don't care what you use, as long as you can give them the desired result.

The keyword being "usually".

I agree that your portfolio is what matters, not the size of the camera, but not everyone thinks that way or understands.

@nerwin, unless you really depend on getting every single client you can, I'm sure you can ignore clients who judge you based on your camera and not based on your actual work.
You really don't need a $3000 camera for that, no matter what CaNikon try to tell you.

Most people who race after the latest technology actually end up just (objectively) wasting their money without properly using the tool to its fullest potential. I'm not saying getting newest piece of gear is a bad thing, if that's something you like and you enjoy, but please guys, don't promote attitude "you need the best gear to make clients pay for your work and to make them respect you".

Once again, the camera is just a tool. It's up to you how you use it. Getting newer gear makes the job easier for you, but it has nothing to do with the quality of your work.

@nerwin, unless you really depend on getting every single client you can, I'm sure you can ignore clients who judge you based on your camera and not based on your actual work.
You really don't need a $3000 camera for that, no matter what CaNikon try to tell you.

Most people who race after the latest technology actually end up just (objectively) wasting their money without properly using the tool to its fullest potential. I'm not saying getting newest piece of gear is a bad thing, if that's something you like and you enjoy, but please guys, don't promote attitude "you need the best gear to make clients pay for your work and to make them respect you".

Once again, the camera is just a tool. It's up to you how you use it. Getting newer gear makes the job easier for you, but it has nothing to do with the quality of your work.

I know. But even if you have clients that judge you based on your camera gear, they don't mean anything by it..they just simply don't know any better. They don't understand photography like we do and there isn't any point in trying to explain it when it just goes in one ear and out the other.

I know. But even if you have clients that judge you based on your camera gear, they don't mean anything by it..they just simply don't know any better. They don't understand photography like we do and there isn't any point in trying to explain it when it just goes in one ear and out the other.
in all fairness if you can deliver a certain standard with a point and shoot, you'd probably do 10x as good with a D810....and even better with the D850

I'd love this camera but its likely that my own ability would not reap it's benefits. Also, I have good (not the best) lenses. I can imagine that they would also need upgrading to get the best from this beast.

24mp @ 6fps will need to suffice for now :)

I want the Wifi capability and the touch screen and the lack of popup flash which gives me a BIGGER viewfinder.
I want the improved low light performance.

I got mine today. First impression:

Very much like the D500, but full frame, so basically what I wanted. A perfect companion to the D500. After some hours I would say that the color fidelity seems even better than the wonderful color fidelity of the D500 and the camera behavior is very much like the D5: you point the 1.4/105 into a dark hole where you can barely see the outline of a horse and the result is a horse picture with all details perfectly focussed on the eye (if you choose "eye detection"). What I mean with D5 like behavior is that the scene on the display by far ourperforms my visual ability.

smallDSC_0021_00001_.JPG

File size is large: NEFs between 47 and 67MB per click (lossless compressed), JPEGs between 18 and 33MB, a developed NEF turns into a 250 to 300MB 16-Bit-TIFF.

The horse is ISO 5600, the other files are ISO100 and 110. These five feature the fine tonality I love from my D600 plus a flood of details that makes the software and hardware take their time. I can see every musle and scar on the man's arm, I can see all the traces that water drops left on the steel of the caroussel.

smallDSC_0057_00001_.JPG
smallDSC_0056_00001_.JPG
smallDSC_0054_00001_.JPG
smallDSC_0045_00001_.JPG
smallDSC_0043_00001_.JPG

I do not have the time to create 100% crops, but I will later. Work is calling.

Last edited:
I'm getting one to replace my aging D800, but I'm waiting for all the bugs to get fixed :D

I'm getting one to replace my aging D800, but I'm waiting for all the bugs to get fixed :D

I also got my D500 on day one and there were no bugs to be fixed....

I waited 6 month after release, before I got my D3, no bugs.

I bought a barely used D600 three months after release. No bugs in mine, but a free shutter replacement anyway.

I skipped the D800/D800e for several reasons and there were very few bugs in a very limited amount of bodies.

The D810 is superb but too near to my D600 so I waited for the D850 and got her on day one again.

My D7000 was a buggy one, no reliable operation with fast primes. Cost me lots of time and money. My worst investment ever.

Last edited:
Argh shutup and take my money.
I handled one today. The weight balance feels very different.
I love the deeper grip.
The viewfinder is orgasmic.
The D810 is no slouch but the D850 viewfinder felt like IMAX screen.
It's like so big i wish I could put both eyes.
I'll get mine middle of next year (probably). My 2 year old D810 has a little over 70k shutter count.

I love the deeper grip.
I'll get mine middle of next year (probably). My 2 year old D810 has a little over 70k shutter count.

Now I can't wait till I look through that viewfinder, especially if you say it's orgasmic!

I love the deeper grip.

Now I can't wait till I look through that viewfinder, especially if you say it's orgasmic!

I do not see much difference to the D500 VF using them in parallel. But: The D500 VF is better for manual focus, it is coarser, has more "snap", no wonder it features the Mark II screen from the F6 also used in the 7200 and 7500, not the Mark VIII like the D6xx, D8xx, DF...

I also got my D500 on day one and there were no bugs to be fixed....

I waited 6 month after release, before I got my D3, no bugs.

I bought a barely used D600 three months after release. No bugs in mine, but a free shutter replacement anyway.

I skipped the D800/D800e for several reasons and there were very few bugs in a very limited amount of bodies.

The D810 is superb but too near to my D600 so I waited for the D850 and got her on day one again.

My D7000 was a buggy one, no reliable operation with fast primes. Cost me lots of time and money. My worst investment ever.

My D7000, D600, D800 were all buggy. Since it would be a business investment, I usually buy new equipment based on business needs and not what I want. Currently, I don't need a D850 so I can sit back and wait until they fix all the bugs (if any), price drop, rebates just like I did with my D750. I shoot a lot with my Pentax 645nii's these days anyway :D

Most reactions

Back