Nikon D850...............Who's gonna get one ?

Still waiting :(
Camera store has no ETA :angry::angry::angry:

Your 11 hours from my house driving. If you can figure out where I live and beat the UPS truck there. ????

While your waiting on the truck. You should make it look like your living there. The trees need new mulching. Garden beds need weeding for the winter. Shrubs still need fall pruning. The side property of about an acre needs the brush cut down again (watch out for bees, we have 4 hives over there). If you miss the truck. And get all that done. I can come up with some more. :aiwebs_016::345:

Where do you live? I’ll drive there and do those chores if I can keep the D850

Your 11 hours from my house driving. If you can figure out where I live and beat the UPS truck there. ????

While your waiting on the truck. You should make it look like your living there. The trees need new mulching. Garden beds need weeding for the winter. Shrubs still need fall pruning. The side property of about an acre needs the brush cut down again (watch out for bees, we have 4 hives over there). If you miss the truck. And get all that done. I can come up with some more. :aiwebs_016::345:

I'd fly from Ireland and do them chores to keep it

Oh, no. I would definitely declare the camera stolen. :aufsmaul::aufsmaul: And then provide proof I was not even in the state! :barbershop_quartet_member: So, UPS would be on the hook since they let a non-resident sign for the package and take it. :barbershop_quartet_member:

I'd fly from Ireland and do them chores to keep it

If your flying Ryan you might want to re-think that. I think they have a D850 carriage surcharge of $3,500!! :aiwebs_016::aiwebs_016:

Ryan don't do the ol Transatlantic yet thank God

I have no desire to buy one.
Interesting statement, you don't desire because you cant afford it or even if money wasn't an issue you still wouldn't want one ?
If so may I ask why ?

No l would not. I would never need a camera like that. I also realize that that camera does not help me achieve what l want. I do not have GAS nor do l think a body like that is worth it. I would rather upgrade my current gear with better glass and filters, etc.

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I have no desire to buy one.
Interesting statement, you don't desire because you cant afford it or even if money wasn't an issue you still wouldn't want one ?
If so may I ask why ?

No l would not. I would never need a camera like that. I also realize that that camera does not help me achieve what l want. I do not have GAS nor do l think a body like that is worth it. I would rather upgrade my current gear with better glass and filters, etc.

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
He did mention if money was not an issue if you still would rather not have one. Glass first is a very sensible and probably most recommenced way of acquiring equipment. And even though the body may have capabilities you do not desire. Just having a better performing sensor seems to be a very good reason to upgrade. It's not all MP's. There is more too it than that with this sensor.

More important than glass or camera is photographic education.

As I just said in another thread:

I'm not 100% sure if I get one. Its really tempting. But I'm a 100% sure that I'll wait at least half a year until prices here in Europe have fallen to US level.

Right now the US prices are $3300 vs 3800€ in Europe. With 1€ = $1.18, europeans pay the equivalent of $4484 ! Theres probably some VAT factors in there, but thats definitely not the only factor in there.

As I just said in another thread:

I'm not 100% sure if I get one. Its really tempting. But I'm a 100% sure that I'll wait at least half a year until prices here in Europe have fallen to US level.

Right now the US prices are $3300 vs 3800€ in Europe. With 1€ = $1.18, europeans pay the equivalent of $4484 ! Theres probably some VAT factors in there, but thats definitely not the only factor in there.

Holy cow! That’s insane!

More important than glass or camera is photographic education.
To a certain degree, yes, but you can be as good as you want, it won't help you without a bare minimum of equipment needed for the job. Sure, you would take good photos even with point and shoot cameras, but it would limit what you can actually do. Education can help you know how to do certain stuff, but if you don't have an ND filter for instance, good luck blurring the water during a sunny day.

Of course, having an over $3300 camera is overkill for 99% of people and really only few will use the camera to its fullest potential.

Of course, having an over $3300 camera is overkill for 99% of people and really only few will use the camera to its fullest potential.
I never unstood this kind of statement. Thats really like the statement of a fellow programmer that nobody will ever to learn to program in C. While both he and I did program C at the time all the time...

I'm perfectly sure that likely 100%, but at least close to 100% of the people reading this will be able to use that camera with great efficiency. And I'm perfectly sure even a newbie will be able to manage images at 45 Megapixels. Its not THAT hard. Yeah we all will miss a detail or two, but who cares. I didnt used any trick in C either, because I was trying to produce readable code.

@Solarflare , one thing is writing a readable code, the other is to use C to create a simple countdown from 10 to 0. Sure, you used C, but you'd be probably better off with a simple copy&paste javascript snippet. It would be faster, cheaper etc.
Camera/programming language/shovel/whatever are just tools made to do certain things and you're supposed to pick one based on your specific needs, not based on manufacturer's marketing. Yay, you've got 45Mpix that you will never use or even see.
Not sure what's there so hard to understand.

Whats hard to understand is that nobody ever uses all the features of their tool, at least not with complex tools that are prepared for many different useages. Which was already true for the D800 and D810, which have already been very useable for many fields, and actually probably even more so with the D700.

Meanwhile the D850 has a lot more to offer than just 45 Megapixels, which, granted, I wouldnt need, for example:

- Very good build quality
- Very good viewfinder - more magnification than any of the D3/D4/D5 models
- Excellent image quality, even better than D810
- Very good high ISO - quite a bit better than my D750
- Base ISO 64

The good build quality alone attracts me a lot. After the D600 and D750 I really could do with a camera that just works for say the next 5 years.

Whats hard to understand is that nobody ever uses all the features of their tool, at least not with complex tools that are prepared for many different useages. Which was already true for the D800 and D810, which have already been very useable for many fields, and actually probably even more so with the D700.

Meanwhile the D850 has a lot more to offer than just 45 Megapixels, which, granted, I wouldnt need, for example:

- Very good build quality
- Very good viewfinder - more magnification than any of the D3/D4/D5 models
- Excellent image quality, even better than D810
- Very good high ISO - quite a bit better than my D750
- Base ISO 64

The good build quality alone attracts me a lot. After the D600 and D750 I really could do with a camera that just works for say the next 5 years.

I don’t really care too much about the megapixel jump or other gimmicky features.

I’m excited to have a full frame body that’s controls exactly match those of my favorite camera ever; my D500.

I hate my D750 because the control layout is downright terrible compared to the 500.

Most reactions

Back