Nikon D90 frame buffer

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shooting manual with manual focus....

It's only capturing 5 frames in Large Fine JPEG before it slows down.

The SD card is a Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s.

Whats the deal?

I'm going to feel dumb if somebody make 2 second post to fix this :(

Active D-Lighting slows it down? I didn't know that. Does the 300 do that as if you're shooting 14 bit? The 700 doesn't if you have even both on at the same time, and shooting RAW+Jpeg.

THANK YOU.

I thought d-lighting was off, but for some reason I left it on auto.

Does the 300 do that as if you're shooting 14 bit?

Yup, it does (unless the last D300 patch fixed it?). And you are right about both the 14-bit and/or active d-lighting not affecting the D700 FPS. Part of the price of admission, I suppose. :)

Likely the processors of the D90 and D300 are not as fast as the ones in the D700/D3.

I believe that buffer space size would not be a factor in this instance. Active-D is adding processing cycles to the in-camera processing, not increasing file size by the amounts needed to cause that great a slow-down. I could be wrong, though... I've been known to be wrong once or twice in my life. :lol:

I turned it off, and I could basically keep shooting until my card filled.

I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 3 30mb/s 8GB card at JPEG Large Fine, so I could go for a while. Buffer never fills up, I took like 52 shots before I got bored and stopped. Thank god the memory card can keep up! And best buy for my employee discount, 1/2 price!

A bit off topic, but could anybody help me with this, I'm used to shooting a 35mm film camera, so assist me.

On my D90 theres abviously AP mode so i can set it for low light. I have the 80-200mm f/2.8 NON G version, so I still have a manual diaphragm ring. It always has to be set to f/22 no matter what for the camera to funtion, if not it just displays "fEE" Am I doing it correctly bu just setting the aperature on the camera by just using the sub command dial? Sometimes it seems that my pics are way under exposed. It seems like it just sucks are setting the right shutter speed. I set it to auto, and both times it was at 800 ISO, f/2.8, but it set the shutter speeds differently for AP vs auto. What gives?

So two questions....

Do I use the or ignore the manual diaphragm ring? Or do I just use the sub command dial to set f/
Why is my AP sucking at setting shutter speed?

You ignore the aperture ring on the lens. The camera now controls it, or rather YOU control it via the camera's aperture controls.

I would suggest that you go through the camera manual, there is a ton of valuable info there. :)

I strongly also recommend UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE by Bryon Peterson... the aperture is not a "night mode setting", it does a lot more than that.

That's what I thought.

Is that a book I have to buy?
...found it.

I'll go to B&N this week, and take a look around the photography section.
I just got it a few days ago, so many features!

My first week with my D200 was frustrating, however, the first 2 purchases I made were books about the D200. Reading them and the manual did make things a lot clearer for me too.

I got Thom Hogan's field guide for my D300. He will be releasing one on the D90. Check bythom.com. There is much more than "how to". He goes into "when" & "why" plus much more.

Peterson's book is quite good.

HUGE agreement here on the recommendation for Thom Hogan's work. That is the first book that I purchased (ok it comes in PDF format, but I printed it out).

It was a ton of very pertinent info in there.

Alright.

Btw, do you guys have a suggestion on a monopod for me?

I need one that can support a D90 w/ battery grip + 80-200mm f/2.8 lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back