Nikon D90 - Good or Bad?

I have the d90 love it for pictures. Video is blech. I mean its fine if your in a pinch but nothing noteworthy. I hear that Canons T2i has decent video but I think if you are even needing something for 50% video its better to save your money and just buy a little video camera. You already have a Nikon D60 for the 50% of the time you need a camera so Im unsure as to why you are still debating this. Good luck either way.

^^^ with the "peeing on the canon logo" avatar... yes, I'm sure you are a very unbiased source of info.

:lol:

Touche, although the contents of ones character should be rated above ones appearance so I could say you are a very judgmental person, but that is neither her nor there. Would you like me to change my logo then? I made it because someone had a peeing on nikon one and made it and posted it on the forum, several people use it actually. I like several canon cameras, namely the 5D Mark II and have though of getting that as my next camera, but I'm not here to defend myself. :)

I have the d90 love it for pictures. Video is blech. I mean its fine if your in a pinch but nothing noteworthy. I hear that Canons T2i has decent video but I think if you are even needing something for 50% video its better to save your money and just buy a little video camera. You already have a Nikon D60 for the 50% of the time you need a camera so Im unsure as to why you are still debating this. Good luck either way.

I understand why you think i should just keep my d60 and get a video camera, but i already have a video camera. I was looking to get a DSLR that can both take photos and videos because i wanted just to carry the 1 camera around with me, not 2. This is mainly because the kind of photography & videography that i do involves me climbing up mountains and i would rather not carry a big bag with multiple cameras up there with me. It would just be a bit too much to carry because i sometimes have to carry tripods etc as well.

This is mainly because the kind of photography & videography that i do involves me climbing up mountains and i would rather not carry a big bag with multiple cameras up there with me. It would just be a bit too much to carry because i sometimes have to carry tripods etc as well.

If you are hanging off of the side of a mountain shooting video of far away places it will do a great job. If you are shooting video of your friends climbing from 100 feet to 2 feet in front of your camera it will suck ass unless you get really good with the manual focus.

Today I shot around 400 pictures and 5 short videos... knowing the limits of my video I might be able to publish 1/3 of what I shot.....the again I might publish only 25 of the 400 pictures;)

Video on the D90 is average at best. I have a Canon SD780is and it's leaps and bounds better for video....and it fits in my pocket. Its only issue is lens flare (since it's so damn tiny) but the quality is better on audio and video.

The D90 is a bad ass camera. IMO it's the best bang for the buck. It just doesn't do video well.

From what I can read on forums and reviews, the 550D (t2i) is currently the best of the entry level cameras at video. That beeing said, I wouldn't use any DSLR for video due to the ergonomics. Put a camera infront of your face, and walk around the room pretending like you're filming with it. Does it feel comfortable and natural, or just a bad idea? To me, it's just a bad idea. But we're all different, so it might just be me.

For photos, the D90 is a solid upgrade over your current camera.

I have to agree that a dedicated video camera is the best option, but perhaps the OP doesn't want to lug two cameras around, or may actually enjoy the challenge of shooting video with a DSLR. My father (who is getting up there in age) has film bodies, digital bodies, and digital video cameras. He enjoys taking his little T1i out and shooting stills and video. You can give advice until you are blue in the face, but you cannot control what someone else wants a camera to do for them. I never shoot video with my bodies simply because video does nothing for me....others enjoy being able to do both.......whatever floats your boat.

i love my d90. but the video function is just crap. really usefull for quick video where the subject is not really moving or when you really dont wanna miss something. but thats it

Most reactions

Back