Nikon D90 in low light & high ISO?

hoboahoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi could any of the new Nikon D90 owner comment on the image quality in higher ISOs (particularly beyond 1600 please)? Is the D90 almost as good as the D300 above 1600 ISO? Also how much better is the D90 under poor lighting than the D80 with high ISOs? Your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks.

I got the opportunity to take a look at one. It's.......completely amazing. As good, if not better than the D300. Actually, Nikon has had the chance to refine, refine, and refine some more each new sensor. Even though the D90 and D300 sensor are the same as far as being CMOS and same dimensions, I think the picture quality about the same. I shot at 6,400 equivalent on the D90 and only viewing the picture on the camera, I could see VERY minimal noise at all. If there was ANY, it was mainly in the shadows which is mainly where noise shows up.

For the most part, I am very please with it's high ISO capabilities. Too bad it's not the D300 though.

~Michael~

Thank you for your post, iflynething. That's nice to hear. Is the autofocusing quick & accurate enough in low light?

There's a post on this exact subject in the Photo.net Nikon Section with samples to boot: http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Qoht

I'd call that nothing short of PHENOMENAL!

Also how much better is the D90 under poor lighting than the D80 with high ISOs?
Lightyears better. If I recall correctly, the D80's sensor is the same as the D40, but slightly older. I'd say it's very acceptable up to ISO 800, very limited at ISO 1600 and unusable at ISO 3200 (ISO 1600 HI 1).

Last edited:
Epp_b, thanks. That helped. The D90 looks good for the price. I appreciate your input.

No problem.

Personally, I was thinking about upgrading to the D80 so that could have AF with more lenses, but I think I will wait until Nikon makes something like the D80 with a better sensor, but without the gimmicky features of the D90 (live view, video, etc.).

Yeah, I could DEFINATLY do without the video. Might be able to use the live view every ONCE in a while.

I will say this, more than likely if you have good vision, and you can't focus as a set light, then the camera can't. If I have trouble seeing, then the camera will as well.

Oh and as far as focusing go, I own the D80 and I can't tell a big difference in how fast it focused. I was pleased to say that it focus pretty darn quick in live view.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back