Nikon D90 not getting Sharp Photos

i shoot iso 400-800 alot and pictures are almost noise free.....like nates said, even at 1600 its not that bad.

Wow...maybe I just nit-pick my own work too much... but I really hate ever going beyond ISO 400. Then again, maybe it just has to do with the type of shots I'm taking. Usually I'm working on landscapes at f/22... and, for me, having distant background trees look like swarms of green bees at 1:1 is extremely dissappointing.

Wow...maybe I just nit-pick my own work too much... but I really hate ever going beyond ISO 400. Then again, maybe it just has to do with the type of shots I'm taking. Usually I'm working on landscapes at f/22... and, for me, having distant background trees look like swarms of green bees at 1:1 is extremely dissappointing.

Type of shot makes a big difference. You difinitely don't want much grain in a landscape unless you are going for a more vintage b&W look. For people though a little grain is acceptable since it isn't usually prevalant on the subject...only the background, and that can be fixed easily with selective noise reduction. On landscapes you want most of the scene in focus and having grain takes away IQ much more noticabely.

If you think ISO 600 on the D90 is bad...pick up a D70s and throw it on ISO800.....it will make you cry in comparison.

Try taking pics at 100ISO, they will be even sharper...

No they won't. ISO 100 (fake ISO) is going to look probably about the same as 400-500. ISO200 is the base iso and where they lens will be sharpest with best quality.

ISO 100 is fake ISO? I always thought that just the HI1, HI2 settings were fake.

No they won't. ISO 100 (fake ISO) is going to look probably about the same as 400-500. ISO200 is the base iso and where they lens will be sharpest with best quality.

ISO 100 is fake ISO? I always thought that just the HI1, HI2 settings were fake.

nikon d90 iso is 200. if you wanna go down to iso 100, its lo7 lo3 lo1,
the only time ive been using it its outdoor shooting in sunlight, it gives me an extra stop down.

Type of shot makes a big difference. You difinitely don't want much grain in a landscape unless you are going for a more vintage b&W look. For people though a little grain is acceptable since it isn't usually prevalant on the subject...only the background, and that can be fixed easily with selective noise reduction. On landscapes you want most of the scene in focus and having grain takes away IQ much more noticabely.

If you think ISO 600 on the D90 is bad...pick up a D70s and throw it on ISO800.....it will make you cry in comparison.

i had a d60 and when i got my d90 i could clearly see the difference...i was having some sorth of orgasm.

i cant wait to get a d700....LOL

Sure is. The Hi settings and the Lo settings are fake iso...same processes in each just in the opposite direction. The sharpest highest quality iso you can use on a D90 is ISO200...the true base ISO.

Oh, ok yeah, I just checked the d90 stats and it does start at 200.

Most reactions

Back