nikon D90 or canon EOS 50D

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by mazin, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mazin

mazin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hi......Iwana ask about the best cam between nikon D90 or canon Eos 50d
    about the quality of image .....
    I don't care about the movie.....I just want the image quality.
    plaese help me by youre advice.....thankssssssssss.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    IThink
    you really
    should
    look at
    the specifications
    for both cameras
    since they are at
    different levels...........................................................................
    The D90 is an entry-level
    camera and the 50D is a
    prosumer-level camera..................................................................
    As a case in point the D90
    has a max shutter speed
    of 1/4000 while the
    50D has a max shutter
    speed of
    1/8000, which is
    one of the specifications
    that separate entry-level
    from prosumer-level.......................................................................
    If you look
    at Compare cameras
    you will see that the
    DXO independent testing lab
    shows the Nikon D90
    has somewhat better
    color depth, far better
    dynamic range
    and far better high ISO performance
    than the more expensive
    50D...........................................................................................
    Note: DXO labs only compares image quality and no other camera features......................................................................................
    In short, get the Nikon D90
    if image quality is your main concern................................................

3. WRon

WRon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you should try to get your hands on each one in a store and play with them a while. Pick 'em up, put 'em to your eye, click the shutter, zoom in and out, and try to get a feeling for the one you're the most comfortable with. Either one will perform well for you, so it's mainly a matter of personal choice.

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90

5. mdtusz

mdtusz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had this same dilemma a while back and was about to go with the 50D for build quality and the price of Canon lenses, but the D90 trumped it with it's high ISO, dynamic range, and CLS as well.

Between the two, it's a trade off between IQ, and build quality mainly (as well as the whole Canon vs Nikon thing too, but...)

6. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I doubt you would be disapointed with image quality from either. And the posters above seem to want to lead you to believe that the D90 is superior in IQ. In the real world (as in practical use, and not isolated sensor tests) they will both produce similar image quality, but the 50D will shoot faster frame rates with fast autofocus, and a more rugged and solid build. Plus Canon lenses are generally cheaper than Nikon's.

If you're OK with this kind of quality (click for image), then your choice should come down to features and feel of the camera.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Look at the numbers...the D90 has the better image sensor,especially in low-light ISO and in Dynamic Range, two real-world areas where the D90's larger pixels and larger sensor will make a noticeable difference in actual picture-taking situations.

Compare cameras

Canon and Nikon's prices on most lenses are fairly comparable. It's not very smart to always go with "cheaper lenses" when you're shooting at the 12-18 megapixel capture level...better lenses are often more costly than the low-level stuff,and on the lenses that you really WANT to own, Canon and Nikon have pretty comparable prices these days in most countries. The price of photo goods in areas outside of the USA is very,very different than in the USA,so you might wish to check out the prices in the country where you will be purchasing the equipment from (I see you are not in the USA).

If possible, it would be really great if you could go someplace and actually hold and test out whatever cameras you are interested in owning...the feel of the cameras in your hand and how they fit you is important. You want to like the camera you buy! The D90 is Nikon's top consumer camera--the Canon T2i is actually a better comparison than the Canon 50D, in some respects. If one camera has a feature that you think is really,really important, then that one feature could make the Canon or the Nikon more appealing and a better "fit" for you, no matter what the image quality differences. All the high-end consumer and pro-sumer cameras are quite capable, some in different areas than others, but all are good overall.

8. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd rather look at pictures than numbers, but hey, that's just me eh? :thumbup:

9. dragon12

dragon12 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree compare the t1i/t2i to the d90. both are entry level

10. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't agree with the T2i to D90 match.. Mainly because although the D90 is considered a entry level camera on the sheet it out preforms (sensor wise) many higher level cameras, case and point, the 50D.

11. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just you..

Maybe it has something to do with you owning the 50D. Just saying....;)

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah...when compared side-by-side, the D90 produces better images than the Canon T2i, so yes, the numbers and the pictures both actually show the difference the Nikon's better,larger, lower-noise sensor makes. (Unless one is from that planet where a car going 55 miles an hour is said to be going faster than a car measured at 65 mph, pardon the analogy.) The lower sensor performance scores of the 50D against the D90's sensor are what they are...the numbers reflect how the sensors perform,and one is larger than the other, and has wider dynamic range, and less noise, and richer,deeper color. Hard to argue with such simple objective measures, unless one is arguing from a fanboy (or owner's) point of view.

Canon Rebel T2i / EOS 550D Compared to the Nikon D90 Side by Side

Lenses also factor into the equation, as does the ability of the D90 to remove chromatic aberration in-camera, which the 50D cannot do. As Live-free pointed out, some would not consider the Canon 550D (AKA the T2i) and the D90 to be in the same "class", but I consider them to be pretty close competitors price-wise, size-wise, and both the D90 and T2i have video capture capability, which the 50D does not have. The 50D was the Nikon D300 sort-of competitor, and was a poor seller for Canon compared with the earlier 40D, and against the D300 for the past two years. The D90 has been a huge seller for Nikon, and has now sort of been moved "down-market" so that its **current** price and that of the Canon T2i are very close. So, it's sort of difficult to categorize where the D90 fits in, or what its competitors are these days.

It's amusing to see the owner of one particular camera defend it over and over, across post after post, when the numbers comparing the equipment are available for all to see at DXO Mark's web site. I do not own a Nikon D90 or a Canon 50D, but "some" of the people in this thread do...and they want "their" choices to look the best. But hey, buy whatever one you like better, or the one whose system you want to be using. The D90 and the 50D are both getting "on in years" now, and I think the T2i is the new camera to consider against the D90...but whatever...