Nikon D90 Setup

Conker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I work as a camp counsellor, and do alot of outdoor and sports shooting. I'm looking for a good setup, to make things easy, and quick for all around shooting, and everything in between. I'm looking at getting:
- Nikon AF-S Dx Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
- Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
- SB-900 Speedlight
- Nikon AF-S 70-300 f/4-5.6G VR
- Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
- Nikon AF-S 85mm f/3.5 IF ED VR ll Dx Mircro Nikkor
- Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Macro telephoto
- Sigma AF 150-500mm f/5.0-6.3 APO DG HSM OS zoom (Nikon)
- Kata Bags HB-207 GDC Hiker Backpack
- Gary Fong Puffer pop-up flash difusser
- Gary Fong Lightsphere universal starter kit
- Nikon SD-9 high performance battery pack for SB-900
- Nikon SJ-3 Colour filter set for SB-900
- Manfrotto 785K Modo Maxi Tripod w/785 bay
- Panasonic 16GB SDHC Video Card 22 MB/sec (Class 10)
- Nikon En-EL3e Battery

Any input you guys have would be great. I'm relatively new to the art of photography, bought a D90 during June of this summer, and I am totally loving it. I am planning on getting serious in the sport quite soon, but I always like to ask around opinions to see what the pros think.

Thanks guys,
Conker

That is quite a list. Nothing too exciting on here except for the 80-200 2.8 Nikon. I rented this one. Loved it. I've heard the 150-500 is a POS. The 70-300 is alright but you won't need it if you get the 80-200. The gary fong pop up diffuser is good too.

Start focusing on taking pictures, and not gear. I know it's hard but you need to get some skill and understanding before you start buying ANY gear.

Understanding exposure is a good book.

I have been trying to get alot of practice in, and I think I'm making a bit of headway. I've been reading about exposure and aperture quite a bit, and am trying to get the hang of understanding them, and have been experimenting alot with them. Are there any lenses in that list, that cancel each other out since they do the same job? Who is "Understanding Exposure" by?

Are you gonna buy this at the same time?

No, probably not all at the same time. I'm thinking I'll get these first:
- Nikon AF-S Dx Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
- Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
- SB-900 Speedlight
- Nikon AF-S 70-300 f/4-5.6G VR
- Gary Fong Puffer pop-up flash difusser
- Nikon SD-9 high performance battery pack for SB-900
- Manfrotto 785K Modo Maxi Tripod w/785 bay
- Panasonic 16GB SDHC Video Card 22 MB/sec (Class 10)

Followed later by:
- Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
- Nikon AF-S 85mm f/3.5 IF ED VR ll Dx Mircro Nikkor
- Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Macro telephoto
- Sigma AF 150-500mm f/5.0-6.3 APO DG HSM OS zoom (Nikon)
- Kata Bags HB-207 GDC Hiker Backpack
- Gary Fong Lightsphere universal starter kit
- Nikon SJ-3 Colour filter set for SB-900
- Nikon En-EL3e Battery

Is that a good order, or would you switch it around any?

That's quite the assortment of lenes. Very odd choices as well. You're clearly willing to invest into this so many of these lenses seem to be too slow for you needs.
You also have a LOT of overlap with these lenses. Some of these overlaps are VERY odd considering speed of the lens. Why would want 2 micro lenses? And why would you want the second one to be a 3.5? If you've got a 60mm 2.8 micro, that's all you want.
the 70-300, 80-200, and 150-500 is crazy too. Drop the 70-300 all together, and maybe pick up a 28-105 or something instead. I like the idea of the 80-200, but if you are wanting the reach, and shooting outdoors, you may as well only get the sigma 150-500. If you don't need the reach, I'd go with the 80-200 in all honesty.
With all the money you've saved, you can then drop the 50 1.8 and grab a sigma 50 1.4. It's by far the sharpest 50 you can get and a great lens that will get you a ton of life. It's ridiculously sharper then the nikon 1.8 or the nikon 1.4G.

You need to really consider all the little gadgets as well. Hardware isn't too important, but it's nice to have a full range in lenses. You should have as little overlap as possible. and if you're going to be spending that kind of dough, you shouldn't have any lenses slower then 2.8 aside from you telephotos. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Bear with me, as I am fairly knew at this, but I am wanting to pursue this seriously. What little gadgets would you reccomend then?

That's quite the assortment of lenes. Very odd choices as well. You're clearly willing to invest into this so many of these lenses seem to be too slow for you needs.
You also have a LOT of overlap with these lenses. Some of these overlaps are VERY odd considering speed of the lens. Why would want 2 micro lenses? And why would you want the second one to be a 3.5? If you've got a 60mm 2.8 micro, that's all you want.
the 70-300, 80-200, and 150-500 is crazy too. Drop the 70-300 all together, and maybe pick up a 28-105 or something instead. I like the idea of the 80-200, but if you are wanting the reach, and shooting outdoors, you may as well only get the sigma 150-500. If you don't need the reach, I'd go with the 80-200 in all honesty.
With all the money you've saved, you can then drop the 50 1.8 and grab a sigma 50 1.4. It's by far the sharpest 50 you can get and a great lens that will get you a ton of life. It's ridiculously sharper then the nikon 1.8.

You need to really consider all the little gadgets as well. Hardware isn't too important, but it's nice to have a full range in lenses. You should have as little overlap as possible. and if you're going to be spending that kind of dough, you shouldn't have any lenses slower then 2.8 aside from you telephotos. :)

+1

I agree with this.

OP: Not trying to be offensive, but it seems that you dont really understand focal lengths here.

You should not just buy this much gear until you understand the reason you are buying each lens.

Its better to have 3 really good quality lenses, than 7 mediocre ones im my opinion.

If you have a lot of money to spend and are looking for just a few very good lenses that cover a descent focal range, I would get these:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens (Black) 2164

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens 2185 - B&H Photo

Now this combo is pushing $4,000, and I am not sure if that is too much.

The 7 lenses you listed would add up to quite a bit too though.

Keep in mind that these two will give you stunning photos, and will likely not need to be upgraded for a long time. They are also built very well to last.

You can also add a teleconverter to turn that 70-200mm f/2.8 into a 140-400mm f/5.6.

Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III (2x) 2189 - B&H Photo Video

If you needed a really wide lens, this one is good:

Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens 2181 - B&H

And if you want a fast lens for portraits (shallow depth of field+more light) these are good:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens 2180 - B&H Photo

Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Lens 1931 - B&H Photo Video

Both are very affordable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I take no offense, no worries. It is true though, I don't totally understand it all, but I am searching and trying. Perhaps you could help me out?

I take no offense, no worries. It is true though, I don't totally understand it all, but I am searching and trying. Perhaps you could help me out?

I can try.

What do you want to know exactly?

send me the money, ill help you out.

Neil s. you've taken the words right out of my mouth. Other than that list an extra battery or two is always good :thumbup:

Well, I'd really just like to know some of the basics of SLR photography and some tips. I'm not planning on getting any of that gear for a little while, I just wanted to see what people thought, although I know the list will change. I'm not very good at photography yet, and I'm still shooting on Auto... I would try manual and stuff, but I just don't understand how to change all the settings around, and what to change them to. I'm really just confused. I've tried asking others, but to no avail. Thanks a heap guys.

have you thought about taking a photography class? some of the principals are a bit easier to learn from an instructor, like reading the light meter adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to obtain a desired effect.

Well, I'd really just like to know some of the basics of SLR photography and some tips. I'm not planning on getting any of that gear for a little while, I just wanted to see what people thought, although I know the list will change. I'm not very good at photography yet, and I'm still shooting on Auto... I would try manual and stuff, but I just don't understand how to change all the settings around, and what to change them to. I'm really just confused. I've tried asking others, but to no avail. Thanks a heap guys.

I found that it helps a ton to just read the manual that came with your DSLR. It is dry at times but it really teaches you a lot.

My first DSLR was a Canon 30D, and I read every page of that manual.

Also reading magazines and books is a huge help.

I currently subscribe to Digital Photographer magazine from the UK, and it is so nice although itÂ’s quite expensive.

Most reactions

Back