Nikon D90 VS D5000

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BOOSTED, Nov 11, 2009.

1. BOOSTED

BOOSTED TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well since my last thread went to the crap shack I had to make another. I am looking at the 18-105mm lens kits. Just wanted to know is the D90 worth the $300 difference. Or perhaps is their a Canon model I should look into

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Already addressed:

3. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    D90 and don't look back.

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had that same question, and it lasted only about a day.
    The D90 is the superior camera and I knew I would kick myself for not shelling out the couple extra bills to get it, and then try and upgrade later on.

5. Layspeed

Layspeed TPF Noob!

British Columbia, California & Philippines
    Photos OK to edit
    Your other thread did go downhill quickly! :lol: Good thing you narrowed it down and started another thread. I didn't like the swivel screen on the D5000, reminded me of a Sony Handycam too much. Others have recommended it and so will I...Get the D90 if you can afford it. Try to find a used or buy refurbished. New retail after taxes will set you back $1200+ with the 18-105 kit lens. As I said in the other thread, I got mine from Adorama and I have to say the gentleman named "Fred" who helped me was very nice. Good luck man.

6. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D90 all the way!

7. Moe

Moe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To be completely informed, I tried to read your other post. Gave up. Too much.

I have a D40. I am so happy with it. The only gripes I have is that there is no in-body focus motor and pretty poor high ISO performance. Ok, by high ISO, I mean 800 and above. So, in reference to your choice, the main difference (I realize there are many) is the lack of in-body focus motor in the D5000(if I'm not mistaken). Granted, not a big deal when you are just starting out, but once you start seeing some people's pictures with a 50mm 1.8 (which could be a very easy 2nd lens @ $100) you'll be wishing you had a motor in your camera body. Just another point to consider.

8. Bad Andy

Bad Andy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As my first DSLR I purchased the D5000 with the 18-200 lens. I figured the D90 was much more advanced and I didn't need the added features.

I love my camera, and I have taken many pictures that I am very happy with. I still have a lot to learn and grow though..... However, I wish I would have understood the in-body focus motor. As others have said, there are many lenses you will want that don't have the AF-S. You will be forced to spend much more money for a lens that has a built in motor.

I find the tilting LCD helpful at times, but most of the time, I frame with the viewfinder. From what I understand, they both have a version of the same sensor, so picture quality is similar.

The D90 has more focus points, and should focus faster with all types of lenses. I believe it may also have a commander mode for off camera flashes (something I am going to look into next). There is also a depth of field preview button and more direct control of camera settings with dedicated buttons, switches, etc.

Overall, I am not looking to upgrade my body at this time. I can still grow with what I have. I am no professional, just like to have fun on the weekends with my camera. The D5000 is a great camera, but if I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the D90. Hope this helps. Both are great cameras. Get something and start shooting and enjoy the sport, and worry less about the equipment.

-Andy

9. Wolverinepwnes

Wolverinepwnes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D90 is a superior camera, and the monitor on the top is a huge help for on the go changes to the setting!!!!! go with the D90, its a far better camera

10. jdag

jdag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1 on the "monitor on top".

11. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. BOOSTED

BOOSTED TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No I searched went through 14 pages of results nothing about these 2 cameras in one thread.

On a local forum a person told me the only differences are:

-No top LCD display on D5000.
    -No secondary (front) scroll wheel on D5000.
    -no articulating LCD screen on D90.

True?