Nikon D90 VS D5000

BOOSTED

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well since my last thread went to the crap shack I had to make another. I am looking at the 18-105mm lens kits. Just wanted to know is the D90 worth the $300 difference. Or perhaps is their a Canon model I should look into

Already addressed:

Thanx for the pics but looks like Iam going to pass on a Pentax

For the following which kit should I get:

Nikon D500:
-Body $750
-18-55 Lens Kit $840
-18-105 Lens Kit $1000
-18-55, 55-200 Lens Kit $1050

Canon T1i:
-Body $870
-18-55 Lens Kit $850
-75-300 Lens Kit $1100

**Just To Note Might Be Over Budget But If It Worth It Ill Take It Into Consideration **
Nikon D90:
-Body $979
-18-105 Kit $1279
-18-55 Kit $1129

Compared with
Nikon D90 (Refurbished by Nikon which means as good as new):
- $760
Nikon 50MM F/1.8 (Refurbished by Nikon):
- $99

Buy used. Do not buy new. Your camera will be "used" within weeks of you purchasing it, and will look and operate exactly as a "used" (refurbished) camera.

D90 and don't look back.

I had that same question, and it lasted only about a day.
The D90 is the superior camera and I knew I would kick myself for not shelling out the couple extra bills to get it, and then try and upgrade later on.

Your other thread did go downhill quickly! :lol: Good thing you narrowed it down and started another thread. I didn't like the swivel screen on the D5000, reminded me of a Sony Handycam too much. Others have recommended it and so will I...Get the D90 if you can afford it. Try to find a used or buy refurbished. New retail after taxes will set you back $1200+ with the 18-105 kit lens. As I said in the other thread, I got mine from Adorama and I have to say the gentleman named "Fred" who helped me was very nice. Good luck man.

To be completely informed, I tried to read your other post. Gave up. Too much.

I have a D40. I am so happy with it. The only gripes I have is that there is no in-body focus motor and pretty poor high ISO performance. Ok, by high ISO, I mean 800 and above. So, in reference to your choice, the main difference (I realize there are many) is the lack of in-body focus motor in the D5000(if I'm not mistaken). Granted, not a big deal when you are just starting out, but once you start seeing some people's pictures with a 50mm 1.8 (which could be a very easy 2nd lens @ $100) you'll be wishing you had a motor in your camera body. Just another point to consider.

As my first DSLR I purchased the D5000 with the 18-200 lens. I figured the D90 was much more advanced and I didn't need the added features.

I love my camera, and I have taken many pictures that I am very happy with. I still have a lot to learn and grow though..... However, I wish I would have understood the in-body focus motor. As others have said, there are many lenses you will want that don't have the AF-S. You will be forced to spend much more money for a lens that has a built in motor.

I find the tilting LCD helpful at times, but most of the time, I frame with the viewfinder. From what I understand, they both have a version of the same sensor, so picture quality is similar.

The D90 has more focus points, and should focus faster with all types of lenses. I believe it may also have a commander mode for off camera flashes (something I am going to look into next). There is also a depth of field preview button and more direct control of camera settings with dedicated buttons, switches, etc.

Overall, I am not looking to upgrade my body at this time. I can still grow with what I have. I am no professional, just like to have fun on the weekends with my camera. The D5000 is a great camera, but if I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the D90. Hope this helps. Both are great cameras. Get something and start shooting and enjoy the sport, and worry less about the equipment.

-Andy

D90 is a superior camera, and the monitor on the top is a huge help for on the go changes to the setting!!!!! go with the D90, its a far better camera

D90 is a superior camera, and the monitor on the top is a huge help for on the go changes to the setting!!!!! go with the D90, its a far better camera

+1 on the "monitor on top".

I think I would have to refer to NOYZE's Does The Internet Make You Stupid thread. Why the repetitive question that has already been answered a thousand times?
No I searched went through 14 pages of results nothing about these 2 cameras in one thread.

On a local forum a person told me the only differences are:

-No top LCD display on D5000.
-No secondary (front) scroll wheel on D5000.
-no articulating LCD screen on D90.

True?

Add to that no commander mode to control SB-600/800/900 flash units, no factory battery grip option, no depth of field preview, no internal focus motor.

I doubt many people would have the opinion that the D5000 is superior to the D90. The only features/benefits of the D5000 over the D90 are:

1) Articulating screen
2) Smaller/lighter
3) Newer model
4) Less costly

BUT...if those 4 things are important to you, then the D5000 would be a good choice.

As noted through this thread, there are a number of D90 features/benefits over the D5000. I was simply taking the question on from the other direction.

Thanks

I think I would have to refer to NOYZE's Does The Internet Make You Stupid thread. Why the repetitive question that has already been answered a thousand times?
No I searched went through 14 pages of results nothing about these 2 cameras in one thread.

On a local forum a person told me the only differences are:

-No top LCD display on D5000.
-No secondary (front) scroll wheel on D5000.
-no articulating LCD screen on D90.

True?

Do a google search look at dp review. Look at each camera think about what you're going to be shooting and using it for and then decide from there.

Most reactions

Back