Nikon D90 Will it be good enough for my needs

SethAlbritton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to forums and would like to say hello first.

Secondly, I would like to start shooting weddings, senior pictures, and portraits of all types in the future. Will a D90 be sufficient for doing this?

Another question I have is what lens would you recommend for doing this. Is there a lens that would be capable of doing all these types of photography or would I need to buy separate lenses?

The lens I am currently looking at is AF NIKKOR 50mm. Not sure if I should get f/1.4D or 1.8D

If I need more than this lens, is there a lens that can do what the 50mm can do and what I need for whatever is needed?

Thanks in advance

Hopefully this doesn't snowball into another thread from hell.

But...

There's a lot more to photography than the gear, I don't know how experienced you are but judging from your post you have a lot to learn before even thinking about shooting senior pictures let alone a wedding - but it's good that you know where you want to be when you're ready.

That said...
A D90 is plenty capable, heck a D40 'can' do the job. However most people will tell you that you'll want a body with more a more pro build such as the D300s and above.

The 50mm whether f/1.4 or f/1.8 is a good start, but you'd be hard pressed to pull of a complete wedding with it. Portraits and senior photos, maybe... depends.

Body and lens are only part of the equation, you'll also want speedlights, a tripod, some sort of light modifier (umbrella, softbox, beauty dish, etc).

I guess I'd like to know where you're at with photography, do you understand exposure and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO play together?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to knowing anything about photography. I've currently watched about 60 hours of tutorials on lynda.com for photoshop and know a great deal about retouching, creativity, color, and that type of art.

However, when it comes to iso and the other topics you mentioned, I'm all ears. If you have some articles to suggest for me to read, I would appreciate it. I know these topics are important.

Additionally, can you suggest a lens that is capable of achieving Senior portraits, weddings, and the others I mentioned. Obviously, I'm not going to be shooting weddings tomorrow. However, louisiana photography is done poorly, so I could.

Good gear, and a good camera does not instantly qualify you for doing senior photos, or especially weddings. Not trying to be harsh, or rude. But it's true.

If you have no idea how to use the camera, the business side of commissioned photography, or even what lens to use for certain situations, you have a LOT more learning to do. Take a photography class, read Understanding Exposure, etc. You can't just get a camera and expect to start making money with it. It's a common mistake. But you're probably being too optimistic.

As PhotoXopher alluded to, you're asking some very basic questions that indicate you're new to dSLR photography.

The photographic knowledge and skill of the person operating the camera has the biggest influence on the quality of the images the camera will capture.

Elements like lighting, posing, composition, depth-of-field, perspective, etc are more important than the equipment.

The D90 is an entry level camera and would do well as a starting point.

It has good ISO performance because it uses the same image sensor as the next up the line Nikon the D300s. But where the D90 is lacking is the auto focus module and the fact it is an all plastic camera with no weather sealing. The D300s has a much better auto focus module, a metal body, weather sealing, dual card slots, longer shutter life, and other enhanced features invaluable to someone making images as a business.

To do weddings and portraits you will need an assortment of lenses.

The 50 mm will work well in some shooting situations but a better portrait lens would be the 85 mm focal length.

A complete wedding, senior, portrait lens kit would include a wide angle lens for group shots, primes in at least the 50, and 85 mm focal lengths, and a good 70-200, or 80-200 mm zoom.

For professional quality images would would want to get professonal quality lenses.

Just below in my sigggy is a link to my blog that covers Digtal SLR Basics.

holly **** you guys get off topic quick. I love forums! If you gave valuable information, Thank you.

Anyone want to suggest some good articles to read. Please try to refrain from saying it takes more than a good camera and it takes time to become good. These are obvious statements. If you have to say it, I guess go ahead.

holly **** you guys get off topic quick. I love forums! If you gave valuable information, Thank you.

Anyone want to suggest some good articles to read. Please try to refrain from saying it takes more than a good camera and it takes time to become good. These are obvious statements. If you have to say it, I guess go ahead.
Hey Seth,

I did refer you to some articles, and I recommend some lenses for you to consider too, but forgive me. It won't happen again soon.

Oh, you'll need to read some "How to run a business" articles too. I'll bet you'll just be great working with John Q. Public.

Yes, asking a question like this will inevitably lead to unwanted lectures here. :lol:

The D90 will be more than capable for what you're doing. If you plan on shooting a ton of sports, then consider a D300s or better. The autofocus modules of the higher end bodies have much better performance.

No, the d90 will NOT be enough. Actually, skip nikon, from the serious vibes im getting from you just pick up a Hassy with a digital back.

yeah, I planed on asking more questions later about different subjects. I was not aware that I would get all kind of answers that were never asked, not to mention the completely obvious statements that were coming at me left and right. Some of you guys were cracking me up. However, some of you guys gave solid advice, so thanks for that.

Lets see if we can answer this question. Try hard guys, it's possible. If I get a lens that is 18-200mm, is it necessary to get a 50mm lens. To me, it seems that the 18-200mm would cover that. Of course I'm the noob and do not understand, so could anyone explain this.

Secondly, is this a professional lens or would it give me better shots or pro shots. Trust me, I know that it takes more than lens to get pro shots! Is this medium end lens or considered a high end lens

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm-3-5-5-6-ED-IF-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000BY52NU]Amazon.com: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo[/ame]

yeah, I planed on asking more questions later about different subjects. I was not aware that I would get all kind of answers that were never asked, not to mention the completely obvious statements that were coming at me left and right. Some of you guys were cracking me up. However, some of you guys gave solid advice, so thanks for that.

Granted, you didn't ask the question "am I too much of a noob to get paid for X commission based job?" But it was pretty obvious you "would like to start shooting weddings, senior pictures, and portraits of all types in the future." What we were trying to do is say HOLD OFF COMMISSION BASED WORK if you are unfamiliar with what you are doing. Sound advice. This is what happens when every new person that comes to the forum and posts a thread that says "I am a complete novice photographer, but I want to get paid to shoot weddings. What aperture/iso/exposure settings do I need for a wedding?" As if there's some kind of end all answer to that question. There isn't. Just like there isn't a wedding "lens". There are a few good lenses with worthy zoom capabilities and large apertures. But I can see, as we were "cracking you up". That you obviously are extremely informed about everything we were saying up to this point, and you should just buy a Hasselblad H4D and go do professional fashion photography because you are obviously a photography wizard.

And no, just because 50mm is in the focal range, doesn't mean that you will get the same performance out of the telephoto lens. Prime lenses have wider apertures than zoom lenses usually. You should probably read up on aperture or something.

The 18-200 is certainly not a professional lens. It's a decent "walk-around" or do-it-all kind of lens because of the wide range it has, but as a general rule, any lens that does so many things isn't great at any one thing.

You've got a lot to learn, practice, read, etc before you're even near a level of charging people for anything. Take it all in stride, learn as much as you can, and you might be there eventually. Like was mentioned, people come here all the time who know nothing but have the intention of shooting weddings or making money. That's why you've invoked the response that you have from some. For starters, go get yourself a copy of the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back