Nikon EM question

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am always keeping my eyes open on craigslist for film cameras and I stubled accross a Nikon EM with a Sigma 105mm on it. The lady wants $50. Is this worth it?

The only lenses that I know of that are 105mm are macro.

The macro would be worth at least $50.00

I have seen more than one listing on either eBay or Craigslist, where there is a 35mm film camera listed with one, maybe even 2-3 lenses, where the lenses alone are worth more than the total amount asked.

Offer less than they are asking, keep what you want, then sell the rest.

I have bought several lenses, filters, strobes, and bags this way, including my nifty 50 which I got ON a camera for $50, and I sold the film camera with the other lens it came with in an old bag I never used for $75.00, so my nifty 50 was a great deal for me.

Not all 105mm lenses are macros. For example, the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 is not
a macro but it is a fine lens.

I have seen more than one listing on either eBay or Craigslist, where there is a 35mm film camera listed with one, maybe even 2-3 lenses, where the lenses alone are worth more than the total amount asked.

Offer less than they are asking, keep what you want, then sell the rest.

I have bought several lenses, filters, strobes, and bags this way, including my nifty 50 which I got ON a camera for $50, and I sold the film camera with the other lens it came with in an old bag I never used for $75.00, so my nifty 50 was a great deal for me.

I did that once and got a D100 for free.

I kept it though. ;)

You may want to do a little research on the Nikon EM to make sure it's something you would want. I have a pristine one in my camera collection, but it's not what I would consider a user. Nikon made these for sale at Sears, JC Pennys, etc... They are point-n-shoot style 35mm SLRs with few manual controls. The dial on the top allows you to set it at bulb, auto, and M90 (I assume that's flash sync?). I would say the camera body has almost zero value, and I would tend to assume that the lens on it was also purchased at the department store where the body was, and it's probably nothing much exciting.

I am always keeping my eyes open on craigslist for film cameras and I stubled accross a Nikon EM with a Sigma 105mm on it. The lady wants $50. Is this worth it?

The camera is worth about $30, but the lens would make it worth the price and then some... if it's a 105mm macro, the lens is worth $150+ all by itself.

Most reactions

Back