Nikon EM

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by MushiiPeas, Jun 14, 2010.

1. MushiiPeas

MushiiPeas TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay i'm about to start my second year at college, for my first year i used the Nikon EM because we already had it and i didn't have enough money to buy a new SLR and i didn't know much about photography however... the second year at college we're capturing movement. I know the Nikon EM has a bulb setting which could be quite helpful but do you think i need to get a new camera maybe on that has manual shutter speed, if so can you suggest any good ones?

Or could you suggest any good techniques i could use to capture movement with the EM?

Any comments will be much appreciated xxxxxx :D

2. j-dogg

j-dogg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    em = :drool:

I have an FG and a Nikkormat FT

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The EM is a rather decent little camera and quite reliable. Its drawback is that its only exposure mode is aperture priority. The is no manual, other than bulb.

I would suggest you look into getting a replacement body that has manual exposure. You might consider the FG and the FG-20. Both are built on exactly the same chassis as the EM. The FG-20 adds a manual mode and the FG adds both a manual and a full program mode. Other Nikon models, like the FM/FE series, would be more rugged and durable options with more features, but not higher quality options.

When it comes down to it, manual isn't really necessary. By altering the f/stop you can get the EM to set any shutter speed that you could set with a manual camera, at least any that would result in a proper exposure.

The EM's lack of an EV compensation dial can be compensated for by merely altering the ISO temporarily. The EV comp. disal on the FG does just that; its only advantage is that you can see that you've altered the metering and what the real ISO of the film is. With the EM and, say, ISO 100 film you accomplish an EV comp of +1 by simply setting ISO 50. On the FG you leave the ISO 100 set and change the dial to +1. The only difference is that you can look at the FG's dial and tell you've made such a setting. Looking at the EM you can't see any difference in the dial when you are using ISO 100 and +1 EV or ISO 50 and O EV compensation. You have to remember what's in the camera.

4. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use some of your student loan and get a decent film camera, even a F5 nikon is only a few hundred quid now, F100-F90X-F3-F4 can all be picked up for peanuts and will outlast you and every digital camera presently on the market.

Which college you at. H

5. MushiiPeas

MushiiPeas TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm at Eastbourne Park College. I don't think you can get a student loan, i know i can get one when i got to uni. Thanks for your suggestions i really like the Nikon fg-20 :D

6. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The FG has a harsh shutter, and I can only imagine the FG-20 does, too. Go for the N2020 if you can't afford the FE on up.

7. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The EM was quite cheap and meant only for light use.

8. j-dogg

j-dogg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you get the FG go easy on the film advance lever it's made of plastic.

9. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Relax and pay attention to ebay.

I picked up an F80 for $13 for my son the other day. It needed a plastic cover over the top LCD~ the part is $6 from Nikon.

Being prepared (read this as don't spend your camera money on something else because you won't have it when you need it) is the key to success.

Good luck

10. j-dogg

j-dogg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^that also.

Craigslist isn't too bad sometimes, I picked up my entire film setup, two Nikons and like 8 or 9 lenses and filters for 200 total. including rolls of film. I've seen my Nikon FG and a lens go for that alone.

11. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, the EM will take a a good bit of use. What it won't survive is abuse. The little guys aren't rugged.

I sold and serviced Nikons (along with Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, and for a while Konica) for a good 20 years (1974-95). EMs sold well during the market run and noticeably fewer came in for service that competing models from other brands, even more expensive models. Very few EMs, or FGs and FG-20s, were brought in for repair that hadn't been abused (dropped, got wet, ...).

12. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    You might also check on forums that have a presence in your area to see if anyone might have an extra whatever you are looking for to sell to you at a good price.

I'm certainly not suggesting you go around begging nor do I think that you would but asking to buy with a mention of your situation is OK I think. If after that someone wants to donate.. That's OK too. ;)

Here is a start.. Talk Photography™