Nikon F5, F100, N80?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Macro, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Macro

Macro TPF Noob!

Is there a big difference in the nikon f5 vs f100 besides price? What about the N80?

2. mattvillano

mattvillano TPF Noob!

I'm not too familiar with the differences in the f5 and f100......I have an N80 and its obviously cheaper, its a pretty good camera from my perspective. It does have some small downfalls like a less durable plastic body and it can't take meter readings with non CPU lenses. Obviously if you don't care about money then go up to the f series but if your tight on cash give the N80 some consideration.

3. Macro

Macro TPF Noob!

Well I wonder if its worth paying more for the f5 vs f100.... Does anyone have either of these cameras?

4. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think the F100 has a color matrix meter like the F5. It might also be a sturdier cam. I've heard you can drop the F5 from a building and it'll still work.

Another option if you don't need all the fancy bells and whistles is the N90. It is the entry level pro camera from Nikon.

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

i shoot an f100 - it most certainly has matrix metering.

you could just look it up for yourself, macro:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/pmj/camcompare.html

6. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm talking about the color matrix meter. The one that analyzes the colors and adjusts the meter accordingly.

7. 5th

5th TPF Noob!

I guess I am curious as to why one would need an internal color matrix meter. I mean, how many people are looking for a color meter, and an internal one trustworthy enough?

Also, there is a huge difference in the pricing between the F100/F5 and the N80. You could buy 4-5 N80 bodies for the price of one of the others.

8. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would venture to guess that the F5's color matrix meter is quite handy and most likely trustworthy. Especially since it's TTL you don't have to compensate for filters.

9. chris

chris TPF Noob!

They are all great cameras but differ in price and facilities.
    I bought a F80 to replace an aged Minolta manual 35mm SLR system (it had given excellent service but was just worn out after over 20 years of use). The F80 was easy to use and has most of the facilities that I had used with the Minoltas - depth of field preview, multiple exposure, exposure comopensation etc. I was very happy with it until I had the chance to buy a second body and tried the F100 and F5. I decided on the F5 but it is a big heavy camera; the size and weight does not bother me, I have big hands and had been used to carrying a medium format camera around but if this is a problem then the F100 is probably more suitable.
    It is hard to imagine any normal mishap that could stop an F5 working, just dropping it on the floor would probably only result in minor cosmetic damage and it can also withstand brief total immersion in water so there is no need to be concerned about it when out in bad weather. It has just about every function imaginable including mirror lock-up, built-in eyepiece blind, superb meter facilities, self-checking shutter etc.
    The F100 appears to be a slightly 'cut down' version of the F5 with most of the facilities and performance in a smaller package.
    The F80 is the lightweight of the three cameras - you definitely don't want to drop this one on the floor - but it performs very well and the metering system has never let me down. I use the F80 when I don't want the bulk and weight of the F5.
    The F80 is about 20% of the cost of an F5 so you need to carefully consider what facilities and level of robustness you need and weigh these against the cost and convenience.

10. joseph

joseph TPF Noob!

F5 is used by professionals in war zones, they will go on ticking an take the licking, that and some special features is what you pay for. For regular normal use my N80 never let me down, I knokced it about a bit too. The F100 you can knock about a bit more.

11. jv17

jv17 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well said I was about to say that..I made a research about this on the net..

12. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    The F5 would probably be the last 35mm film camera you would ever need to buy. :)