Nikon f5 vs nikon f100

godek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking about getting a nikon f100 because it is slimmer and lighter.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two? Like why would you want the nikon f5 over the nikon f100?

[QUOTE="why would you want the nikon f5 over the nikon f100?[/QUOTE]

After having most of my cameras stolen in a burglary I had the opportunity to change systems and arranged to try a F5 and F100 at a local photography store. As soon as I picked them up it was no competition and I left with the F5 because it was big and hefty. I am bigger than most and have large hands so the size was ideal for me and the weight was no problem - in addition to my 35 mm kit I had used a Mamiya RB67 for several years and that was the size, shape and weight of a house brick. The F5 is built to last, if it was dropped you would worry about whatever it fell on - you could use it to drive nails home. I believe that the F100 is built to a similar standard but the F5 suited me better.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two? Like why would you want the nikon f5 over the nikon f100?

dunno, but if you want a "slim and lighter" camera go mirrorless and "pancake" style lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

dunno, but if you want a "slim and lighter" camera go mirrorless and "pancake" style lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
Do they have that in Film Cameras?
In a word. NO.

I've owned the F5, and foolishly let it go when I sold off a lot of film equipment. Even though the F6 succeeded it, and I own one, I'd take another F5 in a heartbeat. The F100 is a "prosumer" model. While the F5 is 90's technology, it's a sturdily-built camera, and will perform for you for years. I used mine as an adjunct to my RB67, M645, and C330 medium formats and it performed admirably.

I now own the F4, and it's also a worthy predecessor, even though the autofocus is crude by today's standards.

My F6 to which I just added the MB-40 battery pack, is also a great camera, although it might be more than you'd like to spend.

The F5 was the last Nikon to offer interchangeable view finders, a bunch of focusing screen options, data back, etc.

what is data back? I know what focusing screen is and I was thinking about changing that on my nikon f5. So prosumer means semiprofessional camera whereas the f5 is professional?

edit: So looks like I should just get use to the bigness and weight of the nikon f5 and not invest in a nikon f100 also.

Secondedit: I think the data back is collecting shutter, aperture, iso the date and so forth for each photo.

Last edited:
I love my F100. It is pretty much the same size/setup as my D610 so it's easy for me to switch back/forth. Great camera!

The F5 was quite a tank....nothing quite as hefty as a bloated,ungainly, 8-AA cell camera with a permanently in-board film advance and shutter cocking solution. Kind of a turd, really.

The F100 OTOH, is smaller,lighter, and is 95% of the camera, with the option of adding the added winding capacity and battery capacity on an as-needed basis.

These comments from a 1982-2018 era Nikon user and owner...

As the OP questioned, " Like why would you want the nikon f5 over the nikon f100?"

Indeed, why, indeed.

Thom writes in his 'F100 summary' box at the end of the review: "Bottom line: Who needs an F5? Most photographers should save the extra money the F5 would cost them and buy another Nikkor lens."

"SOME SHOWS BATTERY CORROSION (ONLY ON OUTER PART DOES NOT AFFECT FUNCTIONALITY)"

Is it safe to buy cameras at low prices that have what's quoted above? How would you clean it if possible???

Why would you need mirror lockup on a film camera?

YES...locking the mirror up eliminates mirror-up vibration, and in some cameras, allowed an extra frame per second or so on the highest motor drive setting, since the mirror did not have to go up and down, up and down, at high speed. In some fields, like photomicrography, the slightest vibration could negatively affect image sharpness, so, mirror-up was an offered part of the higher-end Nikon cameras. Also, there were/are some older "intrusive" lenses, which protruded rearwardly inside the mount and into the mirror box area proper, lenses like the old 21mm f/4; on this type of lens, the mirror absolutely MUST BE UP, in order to use the lens and shoot pics!!! Typically, an auxilary viewfinder was fitted to the camera, and the uber-wide (for its era!) lens was mounted to the camera, and shot with the mirror locked up.

Why would you need mirror lockup on a film camera?
On long exposures, the action of the mirror moving can create vibrations affecting exposure; the possibility of blurring on critical imaging. It's more a problem with macro photography and the sometime longer exposures. Usually composition has been done, so you're just trying to dot the i's...

If you ever used an RB67, it has a mirror vibration that will rattle your teeth (just slightly exaggerated). I frequently locked it up when taking macro shots.

Most reactions

Back