Nikon FG back won't stay closed...

barrylyndon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks

New to this forum, so thanks for having me.

I recently bought a Nikon FG 35mm film camera and the film cover won't stay closed. It keeps popping open. The clasps/mechanism looks to be all there, so I think maybe somethings askew....not sure.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Luckily I haven't put a film in it yet. Having said that I have noticed that the LED lights in the viewfinder keep flashing in the same place (on either side of 125) no matter where I point it. Is that just because it hasnt got any film in it? or is it broken meaning I'll have to go without the meter's guidance?

Any tips on these issues would be much appreciated, as well as any general guidance to one who is new to photography and even newer to film photography.

Thanks!

The latch on the door is fixed ... the latch on the body is spring loaded. Check to see if that latch is free moving.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fg.pdf

I am not sure what you mean by free moving, but I can say that it moves up and down when lifting the film rewind crank. I think the two latches arent properly aligned, so they are not working together properly. It could also be the hinge of the back door, which is a tiny bit wobbly. Otherwise all seems to be all right.... the damn thing just wont stay closed!

so so frustrating. Think I will just resort to a bit of duct take!

Ah, ok. Sounds like the spring is working ... and probably you are right about the alignment.
You might try to bend the latch on the back door to line it up (assuming is it a horizontal misalignment).

You should hear/feel it snap closed if the latches align.

Ah, ok. Sounds like the spring is working ... and probably you are right about the alignment.
You might try to bend the latch on the back door to line it up (assuming is it a horizontal misalignment).

You should hear/feel it snap closed if the latches align.

Thanks dxqcanada! The door latch does appear to be slightly more forward than the body latch as it shuts... its just that I cant imagine how it could have got like that.

So now to bending it without breaking it all even more!

Thanks

If its more forward your seals are probably worn or gone. Check your light seals. They are probably worn out anyway due to age. They can be ordered and replaced.
60 and 125 blink if the film counter not on 1 according to the manual.

Most reactions

Back