Nikon, First in set

limeblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, buying first flash for Nikon d5200 and will be deciding between sb700/sb910. I will also be buying another 2 or so flashes to act as slaves in the future. I am leaning towards starting portrait photography and need to get started with flash so that I can become proficient. Does buying the single higher spec flash first sound right and then purchase the other lower specs for fill? I want to be able to use all of this equipment 10 years from now even at an advanced /pro level. any ideas on the way to build a flash setup that will be good all around please help me out.

Hey limeblu,

Sounds like you got the right idea. Get an OEM flash for your first speed light. It is a good investment and will give you the basis for which to compare your future lights against in the future. I got the SB600 first and while it is a good flash I wish I had gone for a 7/800 or 910 first. The commander mode is what i think I am wishing I had now.

Now I have a Yongnuo 560-II and will be adding another TTL to flash to the stable in the near future.

P.S., slave does work pretty good in controlled environments but does pose some difficulties in unique environments and situations. I was trying to use slave recently for a real estate twilight pool shot and was having troubles getting the slave to register the flash outdoors.

I usually recommend getting the SB-910 as your first speedlight. It's amazing what they can do. Get some light stands and umbrellas to get started. Way cheap. Also you can make some reflectors to fill in the gaps. Get that flash off camera as soon as you can.

I'd recommend Nikon. I wouldn't buy another 700 for any reason because it doesn't accept Nikon battery packs. You're limited to four batteries. Also, the 700 can command only two groups, whereas the 910 can command three. This is moot if you upgrade to radio triggers. However, the 910 isn't the only good option. If you don't care about clip-on gels and a potential for slight overheating, the 900 is a great option, and the SB-800 is great in my book. The SB-800 and SB-910 are the two best flashes for Nikon IMO. The SB-800 also takes dedicated battery packs and can command up to three groups. It doesn't have the upgraded control buttons and clip-on gels, but those are minor enhancements.

Technically you need only one light for good portraiture, so don't feel that you have to start with a four-light setup just to produce good work. You can do a lot with one or two lights if you understand lighting and posing. There's also no limit to the lights you can use. I've seen portraits done with 16 lights. I'd suggest starting simple and learning the principles.

Lighting is one of the most important things you'll ever learn as a photographer. It's also one of the most significant investments you'll make. The cost adds up quickly with batteries, chargers, modifiers and other flash accessories, plus grip equipment and backgrounds. While quality equipment is a good investment, be aware that equipment alone will not improve your photography. You must master how to use it.

I suggest balancing your investment in gear with investment in education. First master basic photography. Then learn how flash factors in. Get help learning it. Once you learn the basics, you'll want to practice a lot. Save your friends and family the trouble and buy a mannequin right away, a realistic one with reflective eyes and hair. Then you can practice all you want, when you want, and the subject will never complain. Real subjects are nice, but it gets old for them real fast, and you don't want to practice on clients, which unfortunately most newbies do. Just practice on the mannequin and be done.

Most reactions

Back