Nikon flash, high speed sync with Canon XTI

confucious

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I searched the threads and could not find the exact answer to my problem, so thought I'd post it hoping someone can help:)

I have a Canon XTI with a Nikon SB-24 and a Nikon SB-25, both external (obviously) triggered by remotes. I have no real problems with them except when trying to shoot high speed shots (water droplets, for instance), and then of course I experience curtain problems at about 1/250th. So - My SB-25 flash says it has:

• Rear curtain sync for Nikon F90x/N90s, F90/N90, F4, F601/N6006, F601m/N6000, F801/N8008, F801s/N8008s.
  • FP High Speed sync flash - available with Nikon F90x/N90s, F90/N90 enables high speed shutter (1/250 or faster) for flash sync.
Will this work with my camera, despite the fact it specifies only those cameras? I am looking right now to download the manual (I bought the flashes second hand), but if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

THanks loads!

Lozza

cant see this working as your camera isn't actually "talking" to the flash, yes it will trigger but you have no sync, I suggest you put the camera to bulb, forget the triggers, then fire the flash manually at the water drop then close the shutter, this is how hi-speed photography worked in the old days usually triggered by sound or motion sensors. H

It will not. CLS is a proprietary Nikon language that your Canon doesn't speak. You are limited to your camera's maximum sync speed, whatever that may be, when using that flash.

Thanks for the replies guys.

For the bulb setting...I am assuming I would have to have very little ambient light in the room and hold the shutter open for a very small amount of time?? Maybe have a high aperture setting to cut down on ambient light? Doh! Pity the XTI has this...is a starter cam though, so...

CHeers

Yeah, you've got it, pull the curtains as well, as long as you can see what your doing, I'd set it all up/focus etc before darkening the room then all you need to do is fire shutter then flash. H

Most reactions

Back