nikon flash's 4 studio lighting...

STMel03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of questions about nikon flashes floating around here but I still can decide what I want to do... I currently own one 1 SB-600. I would like to have a nice portable studio flash setup. Should I just buy another SB-600 or should I upgrade to the SB-800 or 900s? Is the output of the two 600's enough for studio lighting?

What camera do you have?

If youre doing studio lighting, you can most definitely go with two SB-600's. Zack Arias is a promoter of "One Light" photography, and you'd be surprised what you can squeeze out of a single light (or two SB-600's shooting through an umbrella if you need more power).

Get another SB-600 and the appropriate lighting equipment and youre good to go.

Before asking ANY such question, you should at least define your needs in detail. Your needs define, more than anything else, the system that is best for you.

If youre doing studio lighting, you can most definitely go with two SB-600's. Zack Arias is a promoter of "One Light" photography, and you'd be surprised what you can squeeze out of a single light (or two SB-600's shooting through an umbrella if you need more power).

While I agree with the above post you can very quickly hit a wall using hot shoe flashes in a studio setup.

If you are just doing indoor work in a defined space, a few speedlights might be all you need. but if you are called upon to work in larger spaces with multiple people or more complex lighting, they just will not cut it.

For the work I do there is just no way I could do it with speedlights as I oftern have up to 5 strobes in my lighting setup and running well over 3200 W/S of light (that would be 30 or more speedlights)

While I agree with the above post you can very quickly hit a wall using hot shoe flashes in a studio setup.

If you are just doing indoor work in a defined space, a few speedlights might be all you need. but if you are called upon to work in larger spaces with multiple people or more complex lighting, they just will not cut it.

For the work I do there is just no way I could do it with speedlights as I oftern have up to 5 strobes in my lighting setup and running well over 3200 W/S of light (that would be 30 or more speedlights)

While a multi-flash setup on that level makes things easier, it is certainly not impossible to do with one or two speedlights - entirely dependent on what look you are after.

If this is for studio, I would spend the same amount of money and get moonlights. A couple of Alien Bee 800's would be far more flexible and you can buy all sorts of light modifiers for them as you go along. They are small, lightweight and easily portable. I take me out with me all the time to do shoots on location. I only use my speedlites for things like wedding receptions and shooting pics of my kid around the house these days, but even then I still bring along moon lights for formal shots.

If he's going with the Alienbee's then he has to worry about portable power. May not always have access to a power source, and even one Vagabond is quite a hefty buying. For one AB800 and a Vagabond we're looking at 600+ bucks, versus how many SB-600's and a large softbox/umbrella combo could you get with that. . .

May not always have access to a power source, and even one Vagabond is quite a hefty buying.

The major reason I'm getting Speedlites first, studio lighting later. Speedlites will lend more flexibility in terms of shooting location. STMel noted that he wanted portability. Speedlights and some umbrellas will do that.

to sum up my needs... I am still a amateur when I comes to photography.. I have never shot anything in the studio... nor do I have a studio.. I can rent one where I am at for a very low price.. I'm not looking to do any fancy light setups for now.. I just want a basic studio lighting kit I can set up in homes or a studio at will yield good results. I know as my needs increase along with my skills I will want and need a better lighting setup. So do I upgrade now with the speed lights ...or just buy another 600 and someday buy a nice Alien Bee setup?

hopefully that clears up my needs!

Good point ANDS!. When you say studio I don't really think about battery power... but this is a concern of the OP so perhaps flashes are the best route for him right now.

I went that route early on and bought a 580EXII and two 430EXII's. I wound up not liking the results so I quickly moved to the AB's. But it's a matter of personal preference.

get another sb600, 1 or 2 lightstands, and umbrellas for them.

i just picked up a lightstand for my 2 sb600's and will be picking up 1 more. got the umbrella as well.

i love the softness of the light. you can definetly run a makeshift studio with them. it's handy because its ultra portable (fits in a backpack) and relatively inexpensive

also while we are on the subject... can anyone suggests a good set of light stands and umbrella's? and what ever else I will need to get my speed lights mounted...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back