Nikon FM2, all black

thetrue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have this FM2 that I've been playing with for a couple weeks and it's a nice camera. I've gotten curious about how old it is, and the only information on them shows pictures of black and silver ones. So I did a few searches trying to find out if the serial# can give me a hint about when it may have been made - yielding nothing but "you can pretty much only take a guess" answers. Nikon gives me nothing but the runaround. I'm stumped!!!

Is there anyone on here that can help me figure out this mystery? I'm assuming it's an early example based on all the others on the market having higher serial numbers. Mine is numbered 7130661 if that helps at all.

Thanks!
Jeff

Well, if it is an FM2, it's probably made in 1982 or so. Is it an FM2? Or an FM2(n)???

Nikon FM2 - Index Page

Nikon FM2 - Index Page

FM2 serial numbers started at 7000001 (first year of production was 1982). But again...not sure if yours is an FM2 or FM2(n). My guess is 1983, actually.The "n" variant hit the market in 1984.

Derrel: I've studied those pages for hours. I can't figure out exactly what the writer is trying to say at times and it just gets confusing to me. I personally believe that it's an FM2, NOT and FM2(n). I'll get a quick snap of the number on the back in a short bit, I'm not any sort of Nikon expert so maybe that will help a touch.

invisible: I never even saw that flickr discussion in my searches. As soon as I finish the roll in there, I'll have to check that out.

Thanks guys!

$IMG_4576.JPG That should suffice, no?

Let's see the top deck and specifically the shutter speed dial and the X-synch speed markings...

That is with 100 percent certainty the first variant of the FM2 series: that is a black FM2. Since it came out in 1982, with the X-synch speed as a separate speed in red, 200, it is DEFINITELY an FM2, and not the FM2n or "new" model, which had the higher 1/250 X-synch speed, located within the regular sequence of speeds. So, the year of manufacture is very likely 1982. Not that that has anything to do with its value...the prism has a tap in it, and the eyepiece is brassed, and so are some of the corners, so as a collectable FM2, it's very average...but as a shooter, it's still nice!!!

I have an FM2n in chrome...it's barely been used...it sat untouched, sealed in double Zip-Lock bags with packs dessicant for over seven years, mis-labeled in a box that said "Cards and Letters"! I always loved the simplicity of the original FM, and the FM2 as well.

I'm using it for a lot of B+W film, kind of using my T3i as a guide to really help me learn how to shoot a full manual SLR. I just think it will help me improve my skill and you HAVE to love the super high res digitals on a CD when you take film to get developed.

As far as being "collectible," I figured it's extra-average but I actually enjoy the "well used" look that it exudes. Plus it makes me less afraid to use it :) Picked it up at a flea market with an N-2 rewinder and a handsome camera bag for $8 back in March and really just left it sit until about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your help guys! panblue: I had to buy it after he gave me that price! Even if it didn't work, it's still a nice little conversation piece.

Oh yeah, a 50mm 1.8. I added a couple shots of the lens itself to that album linked above.

Most reactions

Back