Nikon FM2n

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by have film need skill, Oct 6, 2017.

1. have film need skill

have film need skill TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So after just a few years (30) of OM bodies, reliability issues drove me to finally break down and buy an FM2. I had always avoided this as I'm left eyed. Still, reliability issues and the desire for newer lens designs made me reconsider.

So, after a roll or two here's what I can say. The advance lever offset thing isn't as big of an issue as I thought and may actually be a benefit - wedge it into your skull and think of it as additional support. I do enjoy the new lens options; especially the Voigt 40 which I've used before and loved. Flash sync of 1/250 is a blessing. Overall body is a bit bigger but very workable. Nice having shutter display. Nice bright viewfinder. Really nothing to fault.

So we'll see - not a convert yet but very impressed by this Nikon body. Now to find a 28mm...

John

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pix? :cool-98:

3. have film need skill

have film need skill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't think they're anything special but as soon as they come back I'll post. Had used the Voigt on an FG a few years ago and it is magic.

4. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, that camera is a classic, and destined to become a legend!

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah...after a bit over two decades of buildiung F-mount cameras, Nikon released the FM-2, and had behind them a LOT of experience in small-frame 35mm SLR building, so the FM-2 and FM-2(n) were really pretty well-sorted machines. I have right here beside me a nice, minty chrome FM-2(n) (the one with the 1/250 X-sync) and MD-12 motor drive setup--bareeeeeely used, and accidentally stored in a box for over 15 years un-touched.

It's really NOT that much larger than an Olympus OM-1 or OM-2, even though at the time both were being manufactured, the Oly bodies SEEMED quite a bit smaller!

I have read some very positive reviews of that Voigtlander 40mm lens, and have seen some nice pics made with it on the old Nikongear.com web site!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I had the original FM. A solid little camera. I used to shoot news. When the OM1 came out, Olympus shipped us a couple pallets of equipment. We loved the OM1s, they were significantly smaller than Nikon and great on the back. But, after about three months they were all broken.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The FM/FE variants were among the sweetest MF bodies Nikon made. Hope any MILC Nikon makes sticks to that form factor(Fuji XT2?) and not something as cringingly inelegant as the Df.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I love my FM and the 50mm 1.8 AIS. Would love that voightlander 40. I am shooting my Minolta Maxxum 9 today with the 50 1.7. I started in downtown Detroit this morning and now heading to the U of M tailgate party. Using porta and hp5+. I like the ability to rewind mid roll with leader sticking out, putting in hp5+, then putting Portra back in, it worked! Went right back to frame 20. Nice.

• Like Like x 2