Nikon fx vs dx

Add to that, I sold my d7100 to a member here when I went full frame. Besides low light, it performs on par and worst for certain purposes. BUT! Always buy fx lenses.
Eh, I sorta disagree with always buying FX lenses. A lot of times when you buy FX glass for DX you're either overpaying, getting a much larger lens than necessary, getting a slower lens, or not getting the focal lengths that really work for dx. Or most often, all of the above. Now what I may agree with is only buying used DX lenses. That way you take little/no loss of you decide to go full frame and sell off your DX glass.
I agree with your disagreement. The 35 1.8 and 17-55 2.8 are excellent lenses. It'll be a sad day however when you no longer have a dx and see a black circle in your vf.

Despite the excellence of the 17-55, it holds its value poorly.
Eh, I pretty much always buy used, so I never take more than a $20-50 loss. I've actually made money on a couple lenses I put up on eBay.

My theory is buy the most appropriate lenses for the camera you have, buy used, sell if you need different lenses. To me a 28-70 f/2.8 full frame lens is kind of a silly lens to own for APS-C. It's way heavier than it needs to be, has an awkward focal range, and is way more expensive than you need for DX. You're making a lot of compromises to have a lens image projected that your camera isn't even using.

And if you want a wide angle on APS-C you have no choice but to buy DX or use a fisheye instead.

Last edited:
This video was very enlightening to me when I first started out:

Add to that, I sold my d7100 to a member here when I went full frame. Besides low light, it performs on par and worst for certain purposes. BUT! Always buy fx lenses.
Eh, I sorta disagree with always buying FX lenses. A lot of times when you buy FX glass for DX you're either overpaying, getting a much larger lens than necessary, getting a slower lens, or not getting the focal lengths that really work for dx. Or most often, all of the above. Now what I may agree with is only buying used DX lenses. That way you take little/no loss of you decide to go full frame and sell off your DX glass.
I agree with your disagreement. The 35 1.8 and 17-55 2.8 are excellent lenses. It'll be a sad day however when you no longer have a dx and see a black circle in your vf.

Despite the excellence of the 17-55, it holds its value poorly.
Eh, I pretty much always buy used, so I never take more than a $20-50 loss. I've actually made money on a couple lenses I put up on eBay.

My theory is buy the most appropriate lenses for the camera you have, buy used, sell if you need different lenses. To me a 28-70 f/2.8 full frame lens is kind of a silly lens to own for APS-C. It's way heavier than it needs to be, has an awkward focal range, and is way more expensive than you need for DX. You're making a lot of compromises to have a lens image projected that your camera isn't even using.

And if you want a wide angle on APS-C you have no choice but to buy DX or use a fisheye instead.
Just purchased 35mm 1.8 dx can't wait till it comes in

You can't go wrong with the D7000 or D7100, great bodies and my wife still uses the D7000 and I only recently sold my D7100 and purchased a D610...for me it works better for the portraits I shoot with the room I have available and low light in clubs. I worked with several local models in my area and shot with all three bodies with the Nikon 70-200 f4 and the pics look incredible from the DX or FX body.

Most reactions

Back