Nikon Gear for more adventurous pictures.

Bluffkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone! Thank you for for taking a look at my post!

I've been doing some research (Also thanks to @D-B-J ) on taking some ND filtered landscape shots, since it's really where my passion lays in photography. I've compiled a small list of "Things to get" so I can start working on getting these kind of shots. Can you please let me know your recommendations and if you would suggest something else to what I am have supplied. My budget isn't super tight, so any recommendations can be better than the cheapest thing out there, but not the most expensive, if that even makes sense AT ALL! :p

For Landscape:
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm-ii.htm

Lee Filter Big Stopper non graduated.
Lee Filter Adapter Rings
Lee Filter Filter Holder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lee-Filters-Foundation-Holder-Kit-Lee-Big-Stopper-Lee-Wide-Ring-New-/261476741103?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item3ce13a6fef

Nikon Remote
ML-L3 Infra Red Remote Controller for Nikon D600 D7100 D5100 D3200 D7000 etc | eBay

Tripod.
I need help with this one. I thought a tripod was just a tripod. Boy was I wrong. I need to take weight and height all into consideration! :S

I think that's all I need for my D7000 to get started on ND filtered landscape photography.

I also want a nice portrait lens, so I can take better pictures of my son, family and friends. I was thinking something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-50mm-1-8G/dp/B004Y1AYAC

Please let me know what you guys think, or what more info you need! I will happily provide!

Thanks for your time!

Steve

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can, add a set of soft graduated neutral density filters $260 I think. Those are imperative, honestly. And make sure you get the wide angle adapter from lee, not the standard. [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you would suggest soft grad instead of hard?

So you would suggest soft grad instead of hard?

The big stopper is for long exposures. While awesome (I love mine), I would get the soft ND grads first. I'd go with this setup:

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 ATX Pro DX II Lens f/Nikon APS-C DSLR ATX116PRODXNII (tokina)
Lee WAR077 77 with A Adaptr Ring WAR077 (wide angle adapter)
Lee FK Foundation Kit /Filter Holder for Lens of Camera FK (filter holder itself)
http://www.amazon.com/Neutral-Denis...92&sr=8-5&keywords=lee+filters+soft+graduated (filters)

And then IF you can, grab the big stopper. Or, if you wanted, you could get the little stopper. You can't do too much with it during bright daylight, but during cloudy/foggy/sunset/sunrise times, it's great. Below is a shot with the little stopper and a 0.6 soft GND ( I think that's the right GND..). I was shooting around 1/15th, and the little stopper allowed me to shoot at 15 seconds.

Liquid Fog by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't worry ... we'll push the total price up of your list !!

I know the Nikon IR remote is low cost - I have 2 of them. I also have the MC-DC2 corded remote.
But for a few dollars more I recommend a RF remote like I ended up getting, this:
Vello Freewave Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon w Mini USB Connection | eBay

Flashpoint at Adorama have $40 dollar ones
Yongnuo 603s
etc

Since I got the RF I don't use the IR anymore .. it's just that much more convenient. I was having issues with the IR that the lens was in the way when I tried to shoot from in front of the camera, or the sensor on the rear didn't pick up the release. the RF I know works every time. The IR didn't. I had a 3rd party Vivitar one too and that one went crazy and started doing multiple shots per release (yes, the camera was in Single shot).

I used these on my d7000 and d600

I nice CPL is good too dependent upon what you do (like sports), but you should be fine with your GND filters for landscapes.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Phew this is going to hurt my pockets! Luckily my birthday is this weekend. Does anyone recommend any other lens apart from the Tokina?

Phew this is going to hurt my pockets! Luckily my birthday is this weekend. Does anyone recommend any other lens apart from the Tokina?

I wouldn't bother with any other.. Granted, I have not used any other wide angle, but I can tell you that from every review I read and watched, it's the best UWA for crop-sensors. I'm always impressed with mine.

Cheers!
Jake

I really like your pictures @D-B-J , really I do. This is a big step in the right direction for me. Just an expensive one too! haha.

I really like your pictures @D-B-J , really I do. This is a big step in the right direction for me. Just an expensive one too! haha.

I know the feeling. Every time I make a large purchase I have about a half hour of "oh no! That was so much money" And then my gear arrives and I forget I ever even was worried. Haha.

I know the feeling. Every time I make a large purchase I have about a half hour of "oh no! That was so much money" And then my gear arrives and I forget I ever even was worried. Haha.

I have alot of "oh no" purchases.

At one point when I was looking at UWA for my d7000 ... a nice and expensive Nikon FX lens ... I figured it was cheaper going the FF body route. So I bought a d600 refurb'd ...

Yeah, it was alot of money, but I'm really happy with the results, especially in the "home studio". Now I'm at 18mm on a FF and I love it. I use all AF-D lenses as the AF-S stuff is way too much $$. But I'm happy where I"m at.

I'm just now getting the NDs for my newer 77mm lenses 0.3, 0.6 and 1.8 and I venture around alot of small water situations I want more flowing. But I do alot of sports stuff so a CPL is important too.

You have a lot on your list there, and alot to learn how to use it. It should be enough to keep you busy for a while. :)

For the remote you want one that locks the shutter open. This will allow you to create exposures longer than 30" with the big stopper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back