Nikon GPS Unit really needed???

CaptainNapalm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I thought it would be nice to catalogue my photos in lightroom using the map feature using their GPS location. I think it would be neat to be able to click on any of my given pics and know exactly the location at which it was shot, very handy if I ever wanted to revisit the location again but forgot it's precise spot as is often the case. So I mapped a few of my crappy iphone photos and then move onto doing my full collection from my mighty DSLR Nikons D7000 and D600 and... wait a minute... I see no GPS location in any of my pics. I think, no problem, I must just have to activate the feature in the camera, but I don't see this feature. Quick internet search reveals some brutally expensive GPS attachments, bulky plastic protrusions, which you have to attach to your Nikon DSLR (for example D600) just to be able to GPS tag your photos? And these things are going for $300??? This is turning out to be a bummer. Can someone confirm if this is the only way you can tag your photos with GPS coordinates on a Nikon D600? Does anyone actually use these devices? Any better options out there? Cheers!

There is no GPS built into the D600 or D7000, you will have to use an external device. That said, there are some that are significantly less expensive than the Nikon device however I don't know exactly how they work or how WELL they work. I've seen some on B&H's web site for around $100 that "Supposedly" work pretty well, however I have no personal knowledge of them.

I've thought about it myself as well, so if you find something that works let me know, please ;)

I have the Nikon GP-1 and it's horrible. It is almost never lit solid green even outdoors in the city where I know there are towers. If I was buying today I'd go 3rd party for a fraction of the price.

The rumored D5300 (announced 10/7 along side the D610??) is said to have wifi and GPS built in.

There is no GPS built into the D600 or D7000, you will have to use an external device. That said, there are some that are significantly less expensive than the Nikon device however I don't know exactly how they work or how WELL they work. I've seen some on B&H's web site for around $100 that "Supposedly" work pretty well, however I have no personal knowledge of them.

I've thought about it myself as well, so if you find something that works let me know, please ;)

Will look into it Scott and keep you posted if I find something that works at a good price. Thanks.

I have the Nikon GP-1 and it's horrible. It is almost never lit solid green even outdoors in the city where I know there are towers. If I was buying today I'd go 3rd party for a fraction of the price.

GPS doesn't depend on towers, it depends on satellites. In a city where there are many tall(er) buildings is also the WORST place for GPS reception. The buildings block satellite reception, especially from those that are near the horizon, and what is received is frequently plagued with multipath reflections (the signals bouncing off of buildings). The second worst place for GPS reception is among large trees, for the exact same reasons, however they are nowhere near as bad as large buildings.

Thanks for that advice. It's just mind boggling how an Iphone camera embeds GPS into pics accurately but a $2000 DSLR coupled with a $300 dedicated GPS device doesn't. Will have to look into third party. But even then, I'll likely find it annoying having to have to always remember to hook this up to use it.

Is your camera still in the warranty period?
If firmware can void the warranty, hardware likely can too.

Will Custom Firmware Void My Warranty? Canon, Nikon and Panasonic Respond

Thanks Keith. So what you're implying is that if I buy an alternative third-party GPS hardware and use it on my "under warranty" D600, I can run the risk of voiding my warranty? I didn't think of it that way, I just assumed it would be like using a third party lens or something. I guess something to look into, thanks.

Yes, I think it's just like using a 3rd party lens, batteries, flash unit, etc.

If Nikon detects a repair is needed during the warranty period is still in effect because a 3rd party piece (lens, batteries, flash unit, etc.) caused the issue, expect to pay for the repair.

Silly me.... I just use a smartphone app.

Thanks for that advice. It's just mind boggling how an Iphone camera embeds GPS into pics accurately but a $2000 DSLR coupled with a $300 dedicated GPS device doesn't. Will have to look into third party. But even then, I'll likely find it annoying having to have to always remember to hook this up to use it.

I used to design industrial/military grade electronic devices that cost thousands of dollars per unit, and the GPS feature that they claim to have is absolutely meaningless. It was not real time GPS, not linked to any live feed, just a bunch of data that can be retrieved with specific methods. It's more like a check box to be ticked on the feature list so the sales can claim they have more than its competitors.

if you have an iphone just turn on a route tracking app while you're shooting then load the recorded track into lightroom and it'll automatically tag all pics from the data. I'm on android and use google my tracks not sure if it's available for iphone but there's loads of similar apps.

I like the LightRoom feature the best but if you don't have that ...

as mentioned .. iPhone .... camera and computer

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just mind boggling how an Iphone camera embeds GPS into pics accurately but a $2000 DSLR coupled with a $300 dedicated GPS device doesn't.
The phone uses the GPS as an aid to accessing the cell network it depends on to work as a phone.

DSLR cameras don't have phones in them (yet).

Lots of other consumer electronic devices also do not have any GPS functionality.

. . . an Iphone camera embeds GPS into pics accurately . . .
Accurately? Define accurately.

I've seen test values that show that without Internet connectivity the iPhone 4 delivers GPS accuracy of about 1500 meters horizontally (about 4/5 of a mile).
With Wi-fi Internet access it improves to 75 - 100 meters horizontally (225 -300 feet) when used indoors.
It is only with Wi-Fi Internet connectivity and use outside with wide sky access that an iPhone GPS can maybe be considered accurate.
In an urban environment with tall buildings, don't get your hopes up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back