Nikon help!!

Jacobapp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello my name is Jacob and this is my first post on this forum. I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida and im 15 years old. I am going to get the nikon d5300 very soon but im not sure what lenses I am going to buy. I am buying the camera my self so I dont have much money to spend on lenses about $300-$400. My main focus is to get a prime lens, but not spend all my money so I can also get a zoom lens (telephoto). Please help. If you find a lens could you tell all about what it does and what its capable of doing, and the price Thank you so much :)

- Jacob

Welcome aboard.

If you have a limited budget, you could just stick with the kit zoom lens for the time being. As far as primes, the focal length really depends on what you want to shoot.

My opinion: none; learn how to camera first. save the cash.

Welcome, Jacob. When I bought my camera kit it included two zoom lenses; the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm.

So the deal you are considering; does the camera body come bundled with some lenses and other accessories? If not, keep looking.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I should have been more descriptive I am sorry of a qualified photographer. I have had my fair share of cameras nikon d3100, d3200, canon d60 and I'm back to nikon. I am looking about going into portraits mainly babies and teenagers. I know the basic functions of a camera :). The zoom isnt as important as the prime lens though. Also I am only buying the body of the nikon d5300 because I already have some lenses. I need help finding the best prime lens or lenses. Thank you for all your help.

-Jacob

Thank you everyone for your replies. I should have been more descriptive I am sorry of a qualified photographer. I have had my fair share of cameras nikon d3100, d3200, canon d60 and I'm back to nikon. I am looking about going into portraits mainly babies and teenagers. I know the basic functions of a camera :). The zoom isnt as important as the prime lens though. Also I am only buying the body of the nikon d5300 because I already have some lenses. I need help finding the best prime lens or lenses. Thank you for all your help.

-Jacob

Well for portraits you really can't go wrong with the 50 mm 1.8 AF-S G.

since you are sort of a qualified photographer and already know stuff .. then you'll probably want this 50mm --> Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras - USA Warranty 311306

But seriously expensive lenses aside
what existing lenses do you have? You mention you have some but don't elaborate.

Common portrait lenses for a crop camera are 35 and 50.

but I'm sure your lenses that you currently have have those focal ranges in them. Why not just use what you have and see if you prefer 35 or 50. Use them exclusively at those focal ranges for a bit and see which on you use more, or prefer, etc.

I dont have any portrait lenses. I have an 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 55-140mm. :)

-Jacob

I dont have any portrait lenses. I have an 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 55-140mm. :)

-Jacob

if you set your 18-55 to 35mm ...... or to 50mm guess what ? it's a 35 or 50 mm

is your definition of a portrait lens a prime fixed focal length lens?

Most reactions

Back