I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
thinking about getting a Nikon J1 that is local for $80 with the 10-30mm lens in mint condition.
anyone own one? what do you think about it as a cheap pocket camera in lieu of a P&S?
If I like it, i can always grab the 30-110 for around $100 off ebay.
I don't see the Neekon 1's mentioned much around here....
Opinions on this camera please!!

Depends on what you're planning on using it for really. Certainly a step up over the P&S camera's, purely because of the interchangeable lenses. I did have the Nikon 1 S1, which I won (damn that's a lot of one sounds) in a competition. I'm not a fan of small cameras like that, mainly because of the interface and ergonomics, so I sold it to put towards DSLR gear.

Image quality on most of these cameras is pretty decent. We're long past the old Kodak Easyshare days lol. For $80, it's a pretty good deal. If you're looking for something you can take on days out but don't want to lug heavy camera bags around with you, then they are ideal. Like all cameras, it will have it's shortcomings and advantages.

just something the wife can throw in the purse when we go out but dont want to drag the D600 and lenses around.
we have a samsung wb150 P&S we use for that now, but $80 sounded like a pretty good price for the J1 if its a little better of a camera.

ok sooooo....yea.
picked this up instead of the J1. got it for $175.
mint condition. came with 10-30 VR lens, 30-110 VR lens, 2 OEM batteries and charger.
and..uh...its orange. Like, Fanta orange. when the $*&@% did Nikon make an orange camera?!?
anyway...I think it was a pretty good deal. no hot shoe flash mount but....i don't really envision actually needing that on this thing for what we got it for.

SAM_0164.jpg

The safety orange color makes it faster (this is a sailing joke)

AHHHHH, that hurts my eyes !!
Yea...
I call it the Nikon Fanta.
I think the price was right though.
Seems like a peppy little camera, and should do OK for a little pocket camera.

I bought my 15 year old daughter a J1 last year for her b-day (~$129 w/10-30mm lens). I end up borrowing it more then i thought. Its a great little/lightweight camera when a phone camera isn't good enough but you don't need a bulky dslr.

My Tip:
If you live or vacation around water pick up the WP-N1 case!! At only $95-ish it will turn your J1/J2 into a 40 meter dive camera :) (Compare that with current $550 price for the J4 water proof case).

yowser .. prepare for an orange color cast on all your photos.
and .. the great thing about this camera ... no one will want to steal it.
:thumbyo:

ok sooooo....yea.
mint condition. came with 10-30 VR lens, 30-110 VR lens, 2 OEM batteries and charger.
and..uh...its orange. Like, Fanta orange. when the $*&@% did Nikon make an orange camera?!?
anyway...I think it was a pretty good deal. no hot shoe flash mount but....i don't really envision actually needing that on this thing for what we got it for.

View attachment 94898

Good buy, but...

if you ever get lost in the woods you can use it to flag down a plane.

ok sooooo....yea.

View attachment 94898

Good buy, but...

Well...at least the price was right.
And it's actually a pretty peppy little camera. the AF is amazingly fast. I think as long as I don't expect dslr performance out of it I'll be fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back