Nikon kit lens vs. Sigma semi-pro glass?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by SushiWarrior, Feb 14, 2010.

1. SushiWarrior

SushiWarrior TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My local camera store is having a clearance sale and they have a Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4. After reading some reviews, it's been hit for being soft in the corners and having a fair bit of distortion a 17mm. I really want a wide zoom of some sort, with a 50 prime and a tele-zoom. Is this a better choice than a Nikon kit lens at $100, if I could get this lens for $175? And does it have auto-focus on a D40? It says it has an HSM motor, is that anything like AF-S or AF-I?

Thanks!

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HSM means it has a built in focus motor so it will autofocus on your D40. You could also look at something like the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you were to go to Sigma's web site, you would find definitions for all of their abbreviations:

Sigma - Lenses - Overview

4. SushiWarrior

SushiWarrior TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I have seen some conflicting evidence about HSM. Some reviews say Nikon models don't have HSM, only Canon and a few other brands. Others say they all have it. I will try the lens out in a store but I would like to be able to make an educated decision first and have a better idea of the product before I drive an hour to the store.

So, to put the question better, does the Nikon's VR and AF-S (for sure) and size with a low price make it a better deal over the Sigma which has (presumably) better IQ/distortion and a faster speed (and better build quality)?

5. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you like it on your camera body, $175.00 isn't a bad price AT ALL for a f/2.8 zoom lens, new, with a factory warranty....