Nikon lens and wildlife

TortGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have a recommendation on a lens for wildlife photography

Lots, but it depends greatly on what sort of wildlife (as in how "close" you want to get, and how much you have to spend. Wildlife lenses can be anywhere from $500 to $15,000.

Lots, but it depends greatly on what sort of wildlife (as in how "close" you want to get, and how much you have to spend. Wildlife lenses can be anywhere from $500 to $15,000.
I am getting pretty close with stuff like lizards and tortoises I own or in the wild

$1000 isn't really that much of a budget for the longer reach of wildlife lenses.

But--you can hardly go wrong with either the Tamron 150-600mm or the Sigma 150-500 (or perhaps even the new Sigma 150-600; I haven't heard anything yet from someone actually using one, not even positive they've actually started distributing them?).

I have the Sigma and it's a terrific lens for the price; but when I bought it, the Tamron 150-600 wasn't even on the horizon yet. If I were buying one today, I'd probably go with the Tamron for the extra reach. The sharpness of the Tamron is probably a bit better as well.

for tortoises you won't need much reach, you can approach them and it's not like they'll move and even if they did they can't outrun you, but you'll really need sharpness, contrast and color. The coloring on a tortoise can really start to blend together on a mediocre/bad lens, their coloration and texture is really quite subtle. They also tend to be in areas with little light or laying in the sun with glare coming off their shells. My recommendation then would be a standard tele zoom that gets down to f/2.8 and a good polarizing filter (to cut the glare off their shells when they lay in the sun). If you're primarily shooting them on land, and not on logs in the river, you can probably even get away with a mild tele prime, like a 50-100mm.

What type of camera are you currently using?

for tortoises you won't need much reach, you can approach them and it's not like they'll move and even if they did they can't outrun you, but you'll really need sharpness, contrast and color. The coloring on a tortoise can really start to blend together on a mediocre/bad lens, their coloration and texture is really quite subtle. They also tend to be in areas with little light or laying in the sun with glare coming off their shells. My recommendation then would be a standard tele zoom that gets down to f/2.8 and a good polarizing filter (to cut the glare off their shells when they lay in the sun). If you're primarily shooting them on land, and not on logs in the river, you can probably even get away with a mild tele prime, like a 50-100mm.

Yeah, that's an excellent point, and one I considered. If the OP is primarily shooting tortoises that he can get pretty close to, then you are absolutely right, probably better to go with something with less reach that's a little faster lens.

I decided to recommend a general wildlife lens on the basis of this:
I am getting pretty close with stuff like lizards and tortoises I own or in the wild

But I think I misinterpreted that comment. I read it as "lizards and tortoises I own" OR other stuff "in the wild."
Now that I've looked at again, I think you are closer to the mark. It sounds like he primarily wants pictures of lizards and tortoises, and with both of those, you want to be able to get fairly close, so perhaps a faster lens with less reach. Even a 70-200 f/2.8--I bought my Tamron 70-200, used, for under $1000 and have been thrilled with it.

Yeah, that's an excellent point, and one I considered. If the OP is primarily shooting tortoises that he can get pretty close to, then you are absolutely right, probably better to go with something with less reach that's a little faster lens.

I decided to recommend a general wildlife lens on the basis of this:

But I think I misinterpreted that comment. I read it as "lizards and tortoises I own" OR other stuff "in the wild."
Now that I've looked at again, I think you are closer to the mark. It sounds like he primarily wants pictures of lizards and tortoises, and with both of those, you want to be able to get fairly close, so perhaps a faster lens with less reach. Even a 70-200 f/2.8--I bought my Tamron 70-200, used, for under $1000 and have been thrilled with it.
Yeah, don't think OP would be going wrong either way.

Nikon D3300

Nikon D3300
Tamron 60mm f/2 would be a great option. Ultra sharp DX lens that would really capture lizard scales and tortoise shells. It'll do macro as well, so you could really get in close to your pets, really nail that eye detail.

If you're thinking birds and big fast moving animals definitely go for a longer length though.

With your d3300 you would have to get this version of that lens ==> Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f 1.4G Lens 2180 B H Photo Video

With the version you picked it would require the nikon D7000 or greater body to use (and a few others). Your camera does not have an focus motor thus it requires AF-S type lens that have a focus motor in the lens.

More info from Nikon ==> What lenses can I use on the Nikon D5300 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3300 D3200 D3100 D3000 D60 D40X and D40 Nikon Knowledgebase

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back