nikon lens compatibility?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by hazzayoungn, Jan 7, 2007.

1. hazzayoungn

hazzayoungn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i recently bought a nikon fm2 and i need to start looking for lenses and such. do any of you know if theres a chart or list that i can look at?

more specifically, i was wondering if the lens that comes with the nikon d50 will be compatible

thanks

2. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

I'm not 100% sure it is. The G series lenses definitely aren't. If I was using an FM2 I would be looking to use AI/AIS manual focus lenses from around the time the camera was made.

Cheers, Lol

3. ben492

ben492 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    G series lenses won't work since they don't have a physical aperture ring. Any kit lens on a Nikon DSLR is a G lens.

Aside from this, the kit lenses are designed to only be used on crop factor DSLRs so are DX format, which would cause vignetting on a film camera.

Here's a chart provided by Nikonians detailing lens compatibility: http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html.

4. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Aside from G lenses are the very old pre AI lenses that were not converted. Those will damage your lens mount. Otherwise you are good to go.