Nikon lens fEE error clears up at F4

Focus-Pocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all.
Odd issue with my Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 D. The fEE error is continuous at all apertures and clears up only when the manual aperture ring setting is set to f4. All other apertures produce the fEE error. What is the issue here? Am I correct in assuming the f4 is registering as f22? Is it OK to use it on f4 or should it be repaired to avoid an unpredictable issue at the worst possible time? :eek:
Thanks!

That's what it sounds like, or the indexing pin is messing up. Does it happen with other lenses? I'd try simple things, first, like a rest (two green buttons) cleaning the contacts on the camera and the lens; a hard white eraser is good, just hold the body so crap doesn't fall into the body.

Take both caps off. Turn the aperture ring to f/22. Does it close all the way down? Turn to f/2.8 does it open all the way? Put back to f/22 and actuate the lever on the back of the lens and see if the aperture opens with the lever.

That's what it sounds like, or the indexing pin is messing up. Does it happen with other lenses? I'd try simple things, first, like a rest (two green buttons) cleaning the contacts on the camera and the lens; a hard white eraser is good, just hold the body so crap doesn't fall into the body.

I tried the reset and cleaning the contacts to no avail.

The 80-200mm lens produces the fEE error on the D7100 at all apertures except f4.
The Sigma lens produces the fEE error on the D7100 at all apertures except f4.
The Nikon kit lens (no aperture ring) has no issue on the D7100.

The 80-200mm has no issue on the D70 when set to f22.
The Sigma lens has no issue on the D70 when set to f22.
The Nikon kit lens (no aperture ring) has no issue on the D70.

The 80-200 fails on the D7100 and has only 5 electrical contacts.
The Sigma fails on the D7100 and has only 5 electrical contacts.
The Nikon kit lens (no aperture ring) works fine on either camera and has 10 electrical contacts.

Thanks for your guidance snowbear. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Take both caps off. Turn the aperture ring to f/22. Does it close all the way down? Turn to f/2.8 does it open all the way? Put back to f/22 and actuate the lever on the back of the lens and see if the aperture opens with the lever.

Yes, the lens aperture operates the way you described. Closes all the way down, opens all the way up and opens with the lever.

Thanks for your input benhasajeep. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Yes, the lens aperture operates the way you described. Closes all the way down, opens all the way up and opens with the lever.
When on f/22 is the aperture closed all the way? Or is the aperture closed all the way when f/4.0 selcted from the ring? If it's just the aperture ring is off. But the aperture is moving freely by the tab. The lens will work fine with body controls. But will not be able to physically lock the aperture ring. So, you can inadvertantly move the ring with your hand on the lens. Would just have to watch out for that.

The 80-200mm lens produces the fEE error on the D7100 at all apertures except f4.
The Sigma lens produces the fEE error on the D7100 at all apertures except f4.
The Nikon kit lens (no aperture ring) has no issue on the D7100.

The 80-200mm has no issue on the D70 when set to f22.
The Sigma lens has no issue on the D70 when set to f22.
The Nikon kit lens (no aperture ring) has no issue on the D70.
It sounds like the D7100 has the problem; my guess in the circuitry or logic that detects the aperture ring setting. I don't see anything for that listed in the firmware updates, so good luck.

You have to set the aperture to f22 and then push up the little plastic lock.

You have to set the aperture to f22 and then push up the little plastic lock.
Well I believe their original problem is when it's set at f/22 the camera does not recognize the lens is at f/22. But when it's set at f/4.0 the camera thinks it's at f/22.

So, I was tyring to find out what the lens is actually at, at different settings. If it's actually closed down at f/4 or where it should be at f/22. If it's actually closed down at f/4, then the ring has slipped somehow. If its almost fully open at f/4, and fully closed down at f/22. Either the chip in the lens is bad, or the camea has an issue with the aperture lever. I would lean towards the chip in the lens being bad!

You don't need to push the lock, as long as you are in the smallest aperture. I do it all the time but it bites me when I knock the aperture ring out of f/22.

But he is also having the same problem with the Sigma lens, and no problems at all on the D70 -- It's probably the D7100

You don't need to push the lock, as long as you are in the smallest aperture. I do it all the time but it bites me when I knock the aperture ring out of f/22.

But he is also having the same problem with the Sigma lens, and no problems at all on the D70 -- It's probably the D7100
DOH, missed the Sigma doing it too. Yup it's the body.

I have the 2 ring 80-200 f/2.8d and it works on bodies from D50 up to my D800 (bodies with body motors). Have not mounted on D850 yet. So, being 5 pin on D7100 should be no problem.

I have the 2 ring 80-200 f/2.8d and it works on bodies from D50 up to my D800 (bodies with body motors). Have not mounted on D850 yet. So, being 5 pin on D7100 should be no problem.
I haven't counted contacts but my both the D40 and the D750 will work with the DX "G" kit lenses as well as the "D" primes (24/2.8, 50/1.8).

When on f/22 is the aperture closed all the way? Or is the aperture closed all the way when f/4.0 selcted from the ring? If it's just the aperture ring is off. But the aperture is moving freely by the tab. The lens will work fine with body controls. But will not be able to physically lock the aperture ring. So, you can inadvertantly move the ring with your hand on the lens. Would just have to watch out for that.

With the aperture set to f/22 it all the way closed and all the way open when set to f/2.8. No easy way to realign the aperture ring I'm guessing. Maybe just some discreet tape to keep it in place. Plus if I get the fEE error I'll know what to check first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back