Nikon lens for travelling

DHP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I'm after some advice on which lens is best for everyday travelling, I own a Nikon D5300 and have the standard 18-55 with a 55-300 and 35mm prime - all Nikon Lens.

After a recommendation I have been using the 35mm prime but, it may be user error, I find it difficult to get a clear picture when taking pictures quickly and off the cuff whilst walking around towns and streets when abroad. (I mainly go to Asia or South America so there's always a lot of interest in the streets) If I see something or someone of interest I sometimes don't have time to try and focus on the subject. I have many photos that have focused properly, such as focusing on the wall and not the person who is standing in front of it which is very frustrating as the picture is ruined.

I like to take a range of photos from portrait, landscape, street.

I love to use my prime in the right conditions but I have been looking at something like the 18-105 and cashing in my 55-300 as I rarely use it as at least the former gives me that extra zoom when required.

Is there a decent lens for everyday travel or is there something I'm doing wrong with the prime ?

I have been increasing the aperture but I still have issues with it focusing on what I want when quickly taking a spur of the moment picture.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my 18-140, might be a good option for you. Working on your focussing technique and understanding the exposure triangle might yield better results than a new lens though.

I'm very happy with my 18-140, might be a good option for you. Working on your focussing technique and understanding the exposure triangle might yield better results than a new lens though.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

If i have time to plan the shot then I'm fine, I have some great shots and great bokeh but my problem is when I dont have time to get the right focus etc the opportunity has been missed.

Many a photo has been ruined because my intended target wasnt in focus and/or by the time I have focused the lens the chance has gone, whereas if that was with a basic 18-55 the picture would've been clear as day.

e.g - a man of interest walking through a busy backstreet of Mumbai and I snap him but it doesnt focus on him as a whole, it focuses on the clothes he's wearing leaving his face out of focus.

I will look at the 18/-140 thanks :)

Last edited:
Another recommendation for the Nikon 18-140mm, best kit lens Nikon makes for general use.

As for your problem of getting soft (not sharp) pictures, to me it sounds like skills issue and not equipment.
Develop your skills and technique and you will get the shots you want and BTW no matter how good you are and how good your equipment will be you still will always get some soft pictures or miss pictures.
Most important thing in photography isn't equipment but skills, skills takes time to master (years) so don't rush, take your time and learn.

BTW what mode do you shot at ?

Another recommendation for the Nikon 18-140mm, best kit lens Nikon makes for general use.

As for your problem of getting soft (not sharp) pictures, to me it sounds like skills issue and not equipment.
Develop your skills and technique and you will get the shots you want and BTW no matter how good you are and how good your equipment will be you still will always get some soft pictures or miss pictures.
Most important thing in photography isn't equipment but skills, skills takes time to master (years) so don't rush, take your time and learn.

Thanks, it's just frustrating seen from that once in a life shor ruined but I'll keep at it. When I have time it's fine, I play about the F-stop etc.

I did a workshop prior to my last holiday and the teacher said Aperture priority at its lowest so f1.8 all the time. I increased it over time as the focus was a problem.

Like I say when I have time it's not a problem, just need that lens to capture the whole image there and then.

I'm looking at the 18-140 now. It's between that and the 18-105 or 18-200.
Cheers

After a recommendation I have been using the 35mm prime but, it may be user error, I find it difficult to get a clear picture when taking pictures quickly and off the cuff whilst walking around towns and streets when abroad.
stop shooting at f/1.8 and start shooting at f/5.6 with auto-iso turned on.

After a recommendation I have been using the 35mm prime but, it may be user error, I find it difficult to get a clear picture when taking pictures quickly and off the cuff whilst walking around towns and streets when abroad.
stop shooting at f/1.8 and start shooting at f/5.6 with auto-iso turned on.
OK thanks I'll. Give it a go. Is that the recommended f-stop for street photography?

Cheers

Most would probably use f/8 to ensure sharpness.

There's nothing wrong with using the 18-55mm for a lot of things. It's a fine lens, and if you get the image you want with it, it's the best lens.

Your problems with the 35mm prime are probably user error. Stop down to get more depth of field. Read the user's manual for the camera (again) to learn about the autofocus system of your camera, how best to utilize it with its settings.

Also check into the Focus Modes and Areas in your setup.
If you don't know, then you camera is choosing where to focus, so it's trying to find a high contrast area on someone, or something around the subject.
==>

Most would probably use f/8 to ensure sharpness.
I think it depends of many factors what f-stop to use.
Most of the time I use f2.8 and get good results and f4 for perfect results. When I use f2.8 I do risk from time to time a bit softer pictures but in return I get to blur background more.
Everything has its pro and con and everybody has their system.

I use the 35mm f/1.8G DX lens all the time in the street. As mentioned, don't shoot at f/1.8 for street shots. You will often have problems if your DOF is so shallow that a mans shirt is in focus and his face is not in focus.

Focus on a wall and not the person in front of it just requires more time concentrating on focusing. I usually use single point and back button focus. It works great for either grabbing a fast focus-and-shoot shot or for setting up and waiting for someone to be in the spot I've already focused on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back