Nikon Lens help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by caitlin, Jul 1, 2009.

1. caitlin

caitlin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am currently shooting with a Nikon D80 and the lens that came with it, the 18-135mm. I'm really bored with that lens and am looking to get a new one. I have the price range between $300-$400, so does anyone have any suggestions? I want either a Sigma or a Nikkor.

Also, I am fairly positive I am also getting the 50mm/1.8D as well. Good lens?

Thanks for any help!!!

2. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you shoot? It would be kind of silly for us to recommend a 70-300 range when you shoot landscapes....or to recommend a 10-20 if you shoot wildlife.

Why are you so set on a Sigma or Nikkor? There are many lenses that are made by Tamron that are everybit as good as Sigma and/or Nikon (some that are actually better). You should want the best lens for your money regardless of the brand.

3. caitlin

caitlin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To be honest, I didn't even think of Tamron. I've just heard so many good things about Sigma lenses and Nikkor.

I shoot mainly portraits, landscape, and live band photography.

I want a sharp lens, that'll catch bright colors.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For the type of shooting you mentioned, I think the Nikkor 35mm f/2 would be great. I have it and use it a lot. I photograph for my local animal shelter and it works a charm in confined areas. The color, contrast, sharpness and fast focus is pretty remarkable. Minimum focusing distance is only 9-10" which is pretty nice. It'll set you back $350USD.

5. Defy

Defy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    try to find the older nikon 35-70mm 2.8. You can pick them up for about 400. It's a push/pull lens but the optics are awesome for the price!

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Live band photography... where are you in relation to distance to the band? On stage? In the audience 50 rows back?

It comes to bear. :)

In the end, though, 99% of bands play in low light... so no matter what lens, it should be fast. The Nikkor 85mm F/1.4 comes to mind rather fast or the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM lens for something a little shorter in focal length. Another one that I would recommend is the Sigma 30mm F/1.4... awesome little lens for cropped sensor cameras and it is tack sharp. I own this one and it is my favorite cropped sensor prime lens... just excellent!

7. caitlin

caitlin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    normally, i am on stage or in front of the barriers during live concerts. thanks for all the suggestions... more are welcomed! =)