Nikon lens help

aleksey123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello. i just got my first telephoto lens its a 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX for 160$ at my local store, i always wanted to get those telephoto lens but i didnt wanet spend $500+ , and i saw this deal today , price was right for me, so i bought it, but now am thinking those lens dont have vibration reduction(VR), i dont know what should i do? should i return that lens?. my kit lens(18-55) have VR. is it really important to have VR? am i going to have blurry pictures everytime am going to use it? what you guys think. i know with tripod you dont need VR, but i pretty much dont use tripod....

Well at the telephoto end you really will be wanting VR most likely unless it's sunny out. That VR can really save your but in situations where the sun is blazing. Check around on ebay they have the 55-200 vr's at pretty good prices i think. The VR is only about 50 dollars more which really isn't that bad considering how it can save you at 200 f/5.6 GL with your decision.
TJ

Here ya go

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
........am i going to have blurry pictures everytime am going to use it? what you guys think.
:lmao:OMG! :lmao:

:lmao:photographers took pictures that weren't blurry without a tripod WAY before VR was invented.:lmao:

:lmao::lmao:

Top pros hardly ever make images without a tripod.
B3940480.2;sz=1x1;ord=8c7923d5ee

I rarely use VR on my 70-200mm. I'll only use it situations where I have nothing to prop on and I'm down around 1/60 sec or less. Using it without VR and learning how to properly handhold and still get sharp shots will benefit you more than relying on VR.

I rarely use VR on my 70-200mm. I'll only use it situations where I have nothing to prop on and I'm down around 1/60 sec or less. Using it without VR and learning how to properly handhold and still get sharp shots will benefit you more than relying on VR.
+1
Practice, practice, practice, and consider using a monopod.

I have a chance to pic up this lens for $109 new. Would you guys recommend doing that or is it worth an extra $100 for VR? I will be using a tripod sometimes but will be taking hand held shots as well.

I have a chance to pic up this lens for $109 new. Would you guys recommend doing that or is it worth an extra $100 for VR? I will be using a tripod sometimes but will be taking hand held shots as well.

Wanna actually read the posts in the thread you just posted in?????????

Wanna actually read the posts in the thread you just posted in?????????

I did but they were kind of convincing him he can use the one he got. I do not have one yet and was wondering if VR is worth 100 dollars extra. Its obviously better to have but is it worth the $100? Thats all I was asking.

And on Ken Rockwell's site he says the VR version is a "huge" improvement over the one without it.

Last edited:
As others have said, just practice, you'll get the hang of it, remember if hand holding it, make sure your shutter is faster than the length of the lens. I.E. if shooting at 150mm, make sure your shutter is at least 150 or higher. :thumbup:

Nvm couldn't pass this up, OP you might be interested in this as well so I thought id post it.

Refurbished with 90 day warranty for $149.95 from Adorama (And if you use bing you get 3% cashback as well)

2166B Nikon 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Zoom Lens - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

See there you go. Just a little searching around.;)

Yeah haha and I was able to get 10% cash back from bing, all you have to do is search for a lowepro 170 bag then click the cash back link and it will give you 10% instead of 3.

So my total after cash back was $135!! I am pretty pumped, I can use the money I saved to put towards a 35mm f/1.8 lens.

As others have said, just practice, you'll get the hang of it, remember if hand holding it, make sure your shutter is faster than the length of the lens. I.E. if shooting at 150mm, make sure your shutter is at least 150 or higher. :thumbup:

Your shutter speed should be higher than the longest focal length of your lens (assuming a zoom lens here)...even if you are not shooting at max. focal length

Your shutter speed should be higher than the longest focal length of your lens (assuming a zoom lens here)...even if you are not shooting at max. focal length

Once you can get sharp shots at 1/200 sec @ 200mm... work your way towards 1/30 sec @ 200mm.

Soon you will be hand holding 2 seconds at 400mm :lmao:
TJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back