Nikon Lens Legitimacy

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm buying a lightly used Nikon 70-200mm VRII tomorrow, but the seller seems kind of sketchy. I'm going to make sure he has the original store receipt, but I just wanted to make sure before I buy it what I should look for to make sure it's legit. I know the first thing is to look for a US serial number, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks all.

Put it on a camera and take some shots. Make sure all the rings turn properly, the aperture closes & opens as it should. Looks for mold and sticky aperture blades. Make sure it doesn't creep when held in the vertical.

Why waste your time and ask him ahead of time if there is a receipt or proof of purchase before meeting?

Call ahead, ask for the serial # of the lens, and call the local PD, see if it shows up on any of their records. If he won't give you the serial #, walk away.

LOL,rest assured that it is a legitimate nikon lens... I don't think there's such thing as a convincing knock-off.

As long as he gives you a few days to return it, then you have nothing to worry about.

Picked it up today for a pretty good price. It was from an older gentleman and his wife, and he used it twice (I believe him cause the lens is immaculate). He gave me a receipt, box, papers everything. Good find on my part. Thanks for the help guys.

If it is illegitimate....would it be a bastard Nikon lens???

Most reactions

Back