Nikon lens question

Cuidado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well, I am always looking for lenses that may possibly help me. But I have a question about the lenses. Do you find that lenses built in China and Thailand perform as well as those made in Japan, or is it, Since it is made by Nikon, they perform the same no matter where they are built?

Pretty much...

It's more to do with each specific lens.... Nikon Quality control is pretty tight...

I think the 18-200 is the only Nikkor I know of with great sample variation.

Having said that, it seems all the gold ring are built in Japan so that may say something too.

Having said that, it seems all the gold ring are built in Japan so that may say something too.
From the limited bit I've read on this topic...the companies tend to have their cheaper lenses made in the 'cheaper' factories which are typically outside of Japan. Their top quality lenses are more likely to be made at their best factories.

So the result is likely that lenses made in Japan are better than lenses made in China or Thailand...but that may not be because of the factories themselves...just a result of where the companies choose to manufacture their lenses.

This is the case with Tamron lenses it seems, Nikon is likely the same.

I have an incredible 16-85, made in thailand, and it outperforms every kit lens, and the 18-200. However it is made in Thailand. That just destroyed the quality for me! :).

Thanks for the responses. I have a kit lens made in Thailand, and have had some really nice shots with it. Just didn't know if others have noticed a big difference with years of shooting with different lenses built in different countries.

About a year ago I bought a Nikkor 50mm D AF f/1.4 online. To my surprise this top of the line Nikkor was made in China. I'm assuming Nikon's quality control is strict because the lens is just fine.

Most reactions

Back