Nikon Lens questions

maxalmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think my head is going to explode, I'm upgrading from a D40 to a D700 (huge jump, but I'm getting serious about photography)

My questions is about all the types of Nikon lens, I understand the 700 is a fx format and that if I don't use fx lens then I don't get full frame images, what is an "FX" Lens?

Here is where I'm going crazy, the tech specs say "Type G or D AF Nikkor: all functions supported" I don't see any lens with the designation of "FX" From what I can see, all the Nikon lens are G or D? Doe's this mean any of the G or D lens that don't have a "DX" designation, I'm so confused

Here is the scripting from my macro lens AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED It also has a "N" stamped on it, next to "Nikon"

I understand that my D40 will have better resolution with a DX lens as the the D700 will only use the middle of it's sensor if a DX lens is used.

"G" lens, I was reading that this is cheaper version of a "D" lens as they have removed aperature rings to cut cost, is this true?

Now that all my random thoughts and babbling are done, here's my basic question

1) How will my 105 Nikon VR lens work on the D700
2) what designation do I look for in order to have the best lens for this camera?
3) Should I sell my 55-200 VR lens with my D40
3)Anyone have a link to a page that describes all the nikon lens designations, I've looked and looked and I just keep getting confused

help

Last edited:
"G" lens, I was reading that this is cheaper version of a "D" lens as they have removed aperature rings to cut cost, is this true?

Yes, it is true.

Now that all my random thoughts and babbling are done, here's my basic question

1) How will my 105 Nikon VR lens work on the D700
It will work just fine with the FX format.

2) what designation do I look for in order to have the best lens for this camera?
It depends what are you looking for?? Usually if there is no DX mark the lens will work with FX camera.

3) Should I sell my 55-200 VR lens with my D40
The 55-200 VR is DX lens so it's up to you, but since you have a FX camera I would sell it with the D40.

4)Anyone have a link to a page that describes all the nikon lens designations, I've looked and looked and I just keep getting confused

Here is couple of links: (bit I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
http://www.bythom.com/nikkordb.htm

plastii, your awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I think I've got this now....VR and G-D lens will allow me to use the full sensor, while anything with a DX will only use the middle part of the sensor.

I can keep my 105 VR as it will give me full use of the FX format and resolution, while my 55-200 VR DX will limit my resolution and full images.

For future lens, I should be considering VR lens that are not DX and "D" lens.

Is there that much of a difference with G & D lens?

VR has nothing to do with it. VR is Vibrant Reduction.

In G lens, there is no aperture ring - that's the only difference.

Gotcha....Now I see what was confusing me.. (I understand about the vibration reduction, just assumed that VR lens were usually better quality, still learning)

So a VR-G lens will allow full function of the FX format? Or would I have to upgrade to another type of 105 Macro lens? or am I back at any lens with a D rating and the 105 G will still allow me to take good images, just not utilize the camera to it's fullest

Couple of more questions, on my 105 lens, it says 105mm1:2.8g ED.
What does the "ED" mean?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a fast learner, but reading/learning is a handicap for me as I'm a hands on, ask questions fast learner....Again thanks for the help:hail:

Gotcha....Now I see what was confusing me.. (I understand about the vibration reduction, just assumed that VR lens were usually better quality, still learning)

So a VR-G lens will allow full function of the FX format? Or would I have to upgrade to another type of 105 Macro lens? or am I back at any lens with a D rating and the 105 G will still allow me to take good images, just not utilize the camera to it's fullest

VR and G have nothing to do with a lens being FX format. Like someone else mentioned, VR stands for vibration reduction which is a technology that reduces camera shake with longer focal lengths. G means the lens is gelded, or manufactured without an aperture ring to reduce cost.

If the lens has the "DX" moniker on it or in its name, then it was manufactured specifically for the Nikon crop sensor bodies. You can use it on a full-frame camera, either 35mm film or FX digital, but generally speaking the corners will come out black. If the lens doesn't have DX on it or in it's name, then it's a full frame (FX) lens and can be used on FX bodies.

Any non-DX lens will work fine on the D700. Your 105mm f/2.8 will work fine on the D700.

Couple of more questions, on my 105 lens, it says 105mm1:2.8g ED.
What does the "ED" mean?
"ED" stands for extra-low dispersion glass.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a fast learner, but reading/learning is a handicap for me as I'm a hands on, ask questions fast learner....Again thanks for the help:hail:
You should check out Ken Rockwell's Nikkor Lens Technology page. It explains all the designations:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm

Now I understand....Thanks for the explanations

just a question how much are u looking to get for the D40 because i have a friend looking for a starter camera :)

$400 with the 18-55 lens, absolute mint perfect condition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back