Nikon lens warranty question

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did not know the correct forum to ask this, hopefully you guys will be able to answer for me.
I have a lens I bought from B&H and only took a few quick test shots with. I have decided to sell it to a friend.
I never filled out any of the warranty stuff or anything.
If she buys it from me, can she register it? If so, what does she need? I have the original receipt and all the stuff that came with the lens.

Thanks much

Warranty is for the original purchaser only, since your name is on the receipt (I'd imagine) she wouldn't be able to send it in.

Bummer.
I received stuff as gifts for X-mas that I have not registered yet. Can I not register that either?

Bummer.
I received stuff as gifts for X-mas that I have not registered yet. Can I not register that either?
You can bet Nikon provides for gift giving. However, you will have to provide proof of purchase to Nikon to get any warranty work done.

The warranty started on the purchase date, not the date you register your gear.

I would bet that as long as you give the original receipt to the buyer, Nikon would honor the warranty. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Nikon USA and ask them.

Few people fill out the warranty stuff anymore and just register their gear online instead.

Bummer.
You can bet Nikon provides for gift giving. However, you will have to provide proof of purchase to Nikon to get any warranty work done.

The warranty started on the purchase date, not the date you register your gear.

I would bet that as long as you give the original receipt to the buyer, Nikon would honor the warranty. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Nikon USA and ask them.

Few people fill out the warranty stuff anymore and just register their gear online instead.

Thanks. I would also assume there is something for gifts, but their website makes it sound like you must have your name on the receipt.
I did send a question through their site, but was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.
Thanks much

Your state may have different laws that govern such transactions. However, I do believe Nikon allows for "Gifting" of items and that anyone who seeks service should provide notice to that effect. So long as it was purchased as a gift for your friend, they should be covered. Having them register the product also helps ensure the full warranty.

Also of note, some states have laws that are in place to protect consumers from such limitations on gifting or transferable warranties. You might check your local codes.

I find it odd though that Nikon, at least as far as I can tell, uses the date of purchase. Rather than the date of delivery, or acceptance for initiation of coverage under warranty issues. This too may vary by state.

Lastly, remember that just about everything you buy also retains a warranty from the seller or distributor unless conspicuously noticed otherwise.

Most reactions

Back