Nikon Macro Lens...which one!

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Johan13, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Johan13

Johan13 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys, I love photography and more specifically macro photography. I have a Nikon d80 which i have been shooting with the stock lens for a year or so now. I have put off buying a lens because:

A) I dont know anything about lens
    B) I wanted to see which area of photography interested me the most

After this time I have found myself primarily interested in macro photography.

Although id like to get the 100mm Nikkor micro lens, I simply can not afford it. So my choices are limed to both the 60mm lens

I have tried both in the store and personally like the AFS one more. I like how quiet it is and the auto focus seems quicker. However, the older model (AF) has great reviews as well.

So my question is whether the AFS lens is worth the extra cash. Optically is it superior? is it constructed better? Some reviews I have read said it isnt worth the cost.

I was hoping to get some of your opinions on the subject. Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post:)

2. robdavis305

robdavis305 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Im like you. The nikons are not cheap. Just get what you can afford and be happy as long as their 1;1 magnification

3. Johan13

Johan13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, yeah they are both 1:1. I think they will both work out but of course I like the expensive one more. Just trying to see some others views before I buy:)

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The AF-S lens has gone the Canon route, and removed the aperture control ring, making the lens much less useful for reverse mounting. If you plan on using the lens for actual macro uses, the older AF-D model is mechanically more versatile; if you want to try and press the lens into double duty as a field/portrait lens, the AF-S focusing protocol the newer lens uses would make it better, especially if you ever plan on using the lens as an autofocuser on entry-level bodies that lack a built-in focusing motor.

Neither lens design is old or outdated optically,and both have excellent optical performance in the macro range. I have a 60mm AF-D, and it's a nice lens.

5. Johan13

Johan13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies guys. After trying out the lens' again in the shop, i decided to opt for the one with the silent motor in it. I found it focused much better. So even thog the other is most likely optically equal I just didnt enjoy sing it as much. Also I figure the noise would scare my subjects away:D