Nikon Macro lenses

John the Greek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a Nikon macro or "micro" as they call them lens within the next month or so. Right now, I can only afford the 60mm/f2.8 Nikon which is around 430$.. still pretty expensive, but the 100mm one is around 700$ I believe.
Anyway, anyone own any Nikon macro lens, what do you think?

FWIW, I've got the 60mm, 105mm and 200mm AF Micro Nikkors. If I was to buy just one it would be the 105mm. Great all around lens and decent working distance. If your trying to photo bugs or anything living you have to get a little too close with the 60mm. Flash is also harder with the 60mm because of the working distance.

I have both lenses you are asking about. Both are great lenses. Buying either one will give you tack sharp macro photos and both are built the Nikkors should be. I would say picking one over the other comes down to a couple of things. Obviously price is a big thing. Another would be what sort of macro you plan on shooting. If you plan on shooting flowers, or insects that don't move much then the 60mm f/2.8 micro should do you fine. If you are shooting things that are harder to get close to then you may want the extra focal length that the 105mm f/2.8 micro gives you. Both will give you true 1:1 macro but the 105mm can be a little farther away to achieve it.

I would say I use the 105mm about 90% of the time. This is mainly because I really like the way it fits my hand. I find it easier to hand hold then the 60mm. This is a personal preference.

Even though I have only bought Nikon lenses to this point, I have read many good reviews on Sigma and Tamron macros in the 100mm range. They are priced closer to the Nikkor 60mm lens. This may be a reasonable alternative. I would love to get the Nikkor 200mm f/4 micro but at $1250 its not gonna happen. So I have looking at the Sigma f/3.5 DG macro at half the price.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

K

I have asked the same "?" on a few forums and the 105 is always the first one that comes up. That is what I plan on getting anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back