Nikon or canon ( a real question)

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Which company's cameras feel more solid, heavy and bigger? In other words, whats more solid, the D50 or the XT?

I don't even have to hold a D50 to guess it feels better than my XT. I love my XT but it does feel cheap. Funny that my P&S friends still call it "heavy" and "huge".

I have a D200. However, I have a friend with a D50 and one with an XT. I think that the D50 feels more solid, it has a bit more weight to it. Before I had gotten my D200 I was also looking at the Canon 20D and it feels far more solid than the XT and more like the D50, in my opinion.

Hows the D80? I was looking at getting the D80 body with a AF-S 18-135mm G IF ED DX Lens then get a 50mm f/1.8 (or 1.4) for my birthday.

The Rebel feels alot like a really big point-n'-shooter. Nikon cameras (except the D40) feel like real SLR's.

Ok because thats a really big turn off for me. If I'm paying $800+ I want to feel like I'm getting what I payed for.

Hows the D80? I was looking at getting the D80 body with a AF-S 18-135mm G IF ED DX Lens then get a 50mm f/1.8 (or 1.4) for my birthday.
I love it! I believe it's actually lighter than the D50 (I could be wrong).
Now I just wish that lens weren't as heavy!

Have you held both the D50 and D80 in your hands? (as well as the canon)
What feels "better" to you?

no I haven't held eather but I'm going to before I buy the camera.

After trying a friend's, may I reccomend a Nikon Nikkormat?

Nikon D50 w/0 battery = 1.2 lbs

Canon 350D w/battery = 540g

you definitely should go feel them yourselves, not just ask people's opinions on a forum...

but just to fit in I'll include my opinion :D

i personally think the d50 is sturdier out of those 2. i doubt either brand is particularly studier than the other as a whole, each has their weaker and stronger cameras. i've held a 350d, a 20d, a 5d, and a 1d2n (but very briefly) for the canon, and a d50, d70, and d200 for nikon. i personally think the nikons are sturdier in the consumer (and seeping into the prosumer) range, while canon's 'pro' cameras, like the 5d (which isn't always considered a pro camera, but it seems to have a very sturdy and thick casing), 1d and 1ds series are more solid. their 1 series in particular are BEASTS.

Buy the camera that has the image quality, features, control layout, and price you want, and then strap a velcro ankle weight around the lens.

yes, feel for yourself!

I think both of them don't feel too solid compared to other cameras Nikon and Canon have on offer. But that should not be a problem if the feel is OK for you.

My current dSLR is way heavier and more solid than my film SLR (Canon EOS 100, not one of the tiny ones) .. but still that film SLR feels good for me.

Most reactions

Back