Nikon or Canon?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Wreslter08, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Wreslter08

Wreslter08 TPF Noob!

Nikon or Canon? This question has been a question of millions, and has had many answers. So, I being another one of the millions have come to the professionals for support. I am currently looking at a Nikon D70 and a Digital Rebel XTi. I have compared both side by side and have found a few differences. One big one a novice would notice, is the Digital Rebel XTi has more Megapixels, but do Megapixels really make that big of a difference? I know that I have only posted on question, but I will have more as people post. I really have no money invested into Lenses, so I am open to both Nikon and Canon cameras.

2. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go to a shop and handle them both, get the one that feels the best to you, either way you can't go wrong. Do a search there are many many threads on this very subject. You have to decide which is best for you, no one can do it for you.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For me, its the D70 all the way becuase it is physicly bigger and more comfortable to hold. I also don't have to flip through LCD menus to change the WB.

4. Youngun

Youngun TPF Noob!

You could start a war with that question. dsp921 had it right on I think: they're both awesome cameras, handle them both and then decide.

5. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is my opinion as well. However, yours may be the opposite. Go handle them both.

6. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

As everyone else has said - they both make fantastic pictures and have solid companies behind them; it depends on whether you like the feel of the smaller Rebel or the larger D70.

On another note, don't you mean D80? The D70 was discontinued about 2 years ago as I recall, and the D70s a few months ago. Comparing a (relatively) outdated Nikon to a just-released Canon is a touch unfair.

7. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

The D70s has not been discontinued, at least not as of yet. The D80 is an addition to the line-up, not a replacement for the D70s.
    I would tend to agree, though, if you are looking at the XTi, the D80 is the Nikon you should be comparing it to. The reviews I've seen seem to agree that the D80 is worth the extra couple hundred.

8. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has the 400D changed much from the 350D ? because on my 400D (XTi) the WB is 1 button press away and any other menu fuction can be assigned to the "set" button for quick access.

9. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I'm not going to say anything... Not a word... honest...
    I'm just going to switch my PC off, unplug the modem and go sit in a cupboard in the dark clutching my Pentax and Minoltas as the last vestiges of my sanity drift away...

:lol: Anyway I thought this question was answered decisively when it was established that they use Nikons on CSI... :lol:

10. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Both are excellent cameras, but not for all forms of photography. I am a Canon user personally. However in my film days I was a Nikon user as I believed that Nikon made some of the best glass around. Before going into the "What Camera" debate you need to decide on what kind of photography you are looking to get into.

If you are strictly looking for portrait type stuff, either camera will work fine. I think that I would even lean toward Nikon. I however have a wider range of interest than just portrait photography. If however you are looking for a wider range camer for things such as sports, low light stuff etc, then Cannon would IMHO be the better choice. Canons sensor produces far less noise at high ISO's (over 400) than Nikon. Canon makes some real stinker (low budget) lenses and some that will rival any other glass on the market. I try to by the best glass I can afford. I do find that I do a lot less post processing than my Nikon shooting friend when shooting sports, urban and lower light landscape.

Once you know what it is you want to shoot, then go try out the camers in the line that fits your style. Just remember, you are buying a system, not a camera. Bodys come and go, but good glass, taken care of, will last for ever.

11. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

12. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Wasn't this discussed just recently when someone started a thread with the same exact title and the discussion went on for pages and pages????