nikon... or... nikon???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sburatorul, Jan 22, 2010.

1. sburatorul

sburatorul TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I hate to make another of these x vs x threads but I really can't make up my mind.

After some time spent with my d60 I decided it is time to upgrade due to lack of auto focus, not so great high iso performance and the bath of coke my camera recently took...

So now I must decide what to get... Should I get a d90 or should I spring for the d300? I know the differences and the similarities as well as the fact that the d90 has slightly better iso performance but than it comes down to how easy it is to operate them. I hate the fact that the d60 doesn't have dedicated buttons for white ballance, iso and release mode and now I want as many buttons as possible.

Been to a store and played with both. As expected the quality of photos is similar but the d300 does feel better in my hand with all the buttons in all the right places. Is this aspect worth the price difference? Maybe people who use them or both can shed some light on my problem. Thanks!

If you are looking bitterjeweler, I hope I properly used the Shift Key. :D

L.E.: The d300s is out of the question as the price is to big for my budget and filming isn't really my thing.

2. newb

newb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't used either, but from my years in industry I can tell you, having a tool that is comfortable for you to use is huge. When I set my budget for a DSLR, it came down to Canon vs. Nikon and the deciding factor was comfort.

3. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, sounds like you've done all the research on extra features of the D300, now you need to tell us (and really just yourself) if those would benefit your photographs and benefit enough to justify the added expense.

as for the button layout, that's always an important consideration and again if it's going to make enough of a difference in your photos then it's worth the consideration. if you shoot a lot of fast action stuff, weddings, etc. where the moment matters and you feel you can adjust the D300 quicker/easier then it's probably worth it. if you shoot a lot of stuff in studio or landscape and can take an extra moment then it's probably a non-issue.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Besides budgetary concerns, ^^ that is the next concern since you already know the spec differences.

5. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you plan on shooting? Do you feel like you "need" the 51 point AF extra durability and faster fps? You have to make the final decision we can't do that for you. GL
    TJ

6. fausto66

fausto66 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well i can say i jumped from the d60 to d90 few mons ago and absolutley love it...being still new to digital...i find the d90 more user friendly and noob proof but im still learning and cant somplain

7. bluefan70

bluefan70 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMO, the D90 is an excellent choice. I just picked one up a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it so far. :)

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    May I suggest the Canon 1D Mark IV?

9. sburatorul

sburatorul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all for the suggestions and ideas. inTempus, that is a good sugestion but if I had the money for that I would get the d3 :)

10. kajiki

kajiki TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was facing a similar choice ......d90 or 300

a D2HS popped up and I nailed it for $600. Horses for courses, I use manual focus lenses, and shoot in bad weather plus, I just couldn't stretch to the $900 or so a used D300 commands these days.

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Do you feel like you are, "behind the 8-ball?" If you purchase a D300, will, "you feel snookered?" Can you make the ,"bank shot?" when conditions are tough? Do you think that you can "run the table" with any camera, or do you need to have your "custom-made two piece pool cue" to do your best work?

(I looked at your Flickr,and know you like pool/billiards).

Seriously...how do you feel about the equipment? Can you play a good game with a house cue, or do you prefer your own cue stick? Do you think the D300 or D300s and a higher-spec'd camera would make any difference? Is the metering with manual focus lenses in the 300 series important to you? some people feel that they like,need,or want the custom cue stick...

How long do you plan on keeping the camera? Have you thought about waiting a little bit longer to see what Nikon announces in February 2010?

12. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOLNO! :)